Germany closing - what about other overseas bases?

So we all know that Germany will draw down and close in ten years (ish). However, what about other overseas bases, Gib is currently in the process of slimming down, and I hear that Belize is going the same way. So what is going to happen to places like Cyprus and Canada. I would think that RAF Akrotiri is pretty safe for the time being, and so is Ay Nik, but what of Dhekelia and Epi. Is there a possibility that these will close in the near future. I seem to remember seeing a thread that said Suffield also may be under threat. FFS is there going to be any overseas postings left!!!

The size and composition of them is under pretty constant review, as you would expect. I imagine they will stay so long as the strategic value remains for UK, US and NATO in general, though there's been discussion over whether they all need to be married accompanied. Once Germany is gone and, assuming we retain a usable armoured capability, then they need to train somewhere. SPTA and Otterburn seem a bit on the small side, though. Dhekelia downsized a few years back and quite a bit of the SBA was offered up in exchange for successful re-unification talks and EU membership a few years back (though this never happened and the Turkish side was left out on a limb), but Cyprus in general remains very handy and hot for acclimatisation.

B

Biscuits_AB

So we all know that Germany will draw down and close in ten years (ish). However, what about other overseas bases, Gib is currently in the process of slimming down, and I hear that Belize is going the same way. So what is going to happen to places like Cyprus and Canada. I would think that RAF Akrotiri is pretty safe for the time being, and so is Ay Nik, but what of Dhekelia and Epi. Is there a possibility that these will close in the near future. I seem to remember seeing a thread that said Suffield also may be under threat. FFS is there going to be any overseas postings left!!!
Why don't you tell us?

The size and composition of them is under pretty constant review, as you would expect. I imagine they will stay so long as the strategic value remains for UK, US and NATO in general, though there's been discussion over whether they all need to be married accompanied. Once Germany is gone and, assuming we retain a usable armoured capability, then they need to train somewhere. SPTA and Otterburn seem a bit on the small side, though. Dhekelia downsized a few years back and quite a bit of the SBA was offered up in exchange for successful re-unification talks and EU membership a few years back (though this never happened and the Turkish side was left out on a limb), but Cyprus in general remains very handy and hot for acclimatisation.
Thanks for that.

B

Biscuits_AB

Wow, you are funny! I just cannot deal with your rapier like wit... Do you practice, or does being a C**t come all natural.

Actually, it's more of an instinctive reaction which kicks in when I'm faced with cnuts like you. BTW what's a 'C**t'?

Ours are very much a historical anomily - a hang-over from when we were a superpower.
Most of the places outside of Germany are now either training or NATO postings, nothing to do with us being a superpower.

Apart from tours (and BFG) there is probably less than 10% of the army in permanent postings outside the UK

Well yes, Falklands, Kenya, Brunei, Cyprus but only for limited numbers. Otherwise Nepal, Belgium, Italy, Lisbon, Netherlands will all retain HQs with UK attachments, then there are the other small ISODETs spread far and wide although they are literally ones and twos and in many cases Defence Attache staff only. Exercise areas in Poland and Canada and then Ops in ISAF. I agree with your comment -- FFS!!!

Well yes, Falklands, Kenya, Brunei, Cyprus but only for limited numbers. Otherwise Nepal, Belgium, Italy, Lisbon, Netherlands will all retain HQs with UK attachments, then there are the other small ISODETs spread far and wide although they are literally ones and twos and in many cases Defence Attache staff only. Exercise areas in Poland and Canada and then Ops in ISAF. I agree with your comment -- FFS!!!
I think you will find that from Belgium,Italy,Lisbon,Netherlands one or two will be removed from the postings list with which ever remaining having a much smaller number of slots to fill.

Well,according to a briefing I received yesterday this 10 year dead-line for a pull-out from Germany is still very much up in the air.

Apparently the Govt's announcement caught all the Top Wallah's completely on the hop and it was done without a proper plan in place for real estate,budget etc. The MOD were told to fund the whole move back from its own budget and that there would be no extra help from the Treasury.

Within the corridors of power,so the briefing went, there is still a mentality that all BFG does is face the the threat from the East....

To put them in the picture we have been warned off that the MOD is about to begin a period of wooing with local MP's,Govt Ministers etc all being invited out for visits. Seems that a lot of people dont even know that that troops not only train in Germany but also deploy from here.

Seems that a lot of people dont even know that that troops not only train in Germany but also deploy from here.
The tabloids certainly don't know, some of them painted a picture of 20,000 troops in Germany drinking lager and sun-bathing while the poor sods in UK had to go and fight the Taleban.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Join the Navy and see the World! Still possible even without our old bases in Berehaven, Malta, Alexandria, Halifax, Bermuda, Simonstown, Aden, Trincomalee, Singapore, Hong Kong, Wei Hai Wei, Esquimault (and Milford Haven, Chatham and Sheerness). Foreign postings available at Faslane and Rosyth.

I think you will find that from Belgium,Italy,Lisbon,Netherlands one or two will be removed from the postings list with which ever remaining having a much smaller number of slots to fill.
Well it has already happened to some extent although there are probably the largest numbers in Belgium, then Italy mostly Scaleys and Staff Officers / Assistants.

Well,according to a briefing I received yesterday this 10 year dead-line for a pull-out from Germany is still very much up in the air.

Apparently the Govt's announcement caught all the Top Wallah's completely on the hop and it was done without a proper plan in place for real estate,budget etc. The MOD were told to fund the whole move back from its own budget and that there would be no extra help from the Treasury.

Within the corridors of power,so the briefing went, there is still a mentality that all BFG does is face the the threat from the East....

To put them in the picture we have been warned off that the MOD is about to begin a period of wooing with local MP's,Govt Ministers etc all being invited out for visits. Seems that a lot of people dont even know that that troops not only train in Germany but also deploy from here.
Well the briefing is simply clutching at straws. The withdrawal is clearly in action from where I am. The outline costings (which are poor but make the politicos happy) have been approved. As you know the whole thing is being done in 5 year plans. The idea being that this way it can be slowed down/altered or sped up. Be in no doubt that the westernmost parts of BFG possibly as far east as Sennelager will be moving or at least being warned to move very soon. The biggest issue remains where (or to which RAF base) they can be moved.

Finally no politician thinks about "the soviet threat" any more, Terry Taliban has seen to that!!