Germany closing - what about other overseas bases?

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Desperate Dan, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So we all know that Germany will draw down and close in ten years (ish). However, what about other overseas bases, Gib is currently in the process of slimming down, and I hear that Belize is going the same way. So what is going to happen to places like Cyprus and Canada. I would think that RAF Akrotiri is pretty safe for the time being, and so is Ay Nik, but what of Dhekelia and Epi. Is there a possibility that these will close in the near future. I seem to remember seeing a thread that said Suffield also may be under threat. FFS is there going to be any overseas postings left!!!

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The size and composition of them is under pretty constant review, as you would expect. I imagine they will stay so long as the strategic value remains for UK, US and NATO in general, though there's been discussion over whether they all need to be married accompanied. Once Germany is gone and, assuming we retain a usable armoured capability, then they need to train somewhere. SPTA and Otterburn seem a bit on the small side, though. Dhekelia downsized a few years back and quite a bit of the SBA was offered up in exchange for successful re-unification talks and EU membership a few years back (though this never happened and the Turkish side was left out on a limb), but Cyprus in general remains very handy and hot for acclimatisation.

3. Why don't you tell us?

4. Time of the month?

5. Thanks for that.

6. That's two things you have which bleed every 28 days then.

7. Wow, you are funny! I just cannot deal with your rapier like wit... Do you practice, or does being a C**t come all natural.

8. Actually, it's more of an instinctive reaction which kicks in when I'm faced with ***** like you. BTW what's a 'C**t'?

9. Most of the places outside of Germany are now either training or NATO postings, nothing to do with us being a superpower.

Apart from tours (and BFG) there is probably less than 10% of the army in permanent postings outside the UK

10. A clit, you T**T!

11. Damn I was hoping the whole of germany was closing...

12. You sound upset? Got the painters in deary?

13. Well yes, Falklands, Kenya, Brunei, Cyprus but only for limited numbers. Otherwise Nepal, Belgium, Italy, Lisbon, Netherlands will all retain HQs with UK attachments, then there are the other small ISODETs spread far and wide although they are literally ones and twos and in many cases Defence Attache staff only. Exercise areas in Poland and Canada and then Ops in ISAF. I agree with your comment -- FFS!!!

14. How the Fkuk did you know......

15. I think you will find that from Belgium,Italy,Lisbon,Netherlands one or two will be removed from the postings list with which ever remaining having a much smaller number of slots to fill.