Germany awards new Iron Cross

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Jul 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is obviously a national matter for Germany and the Bundeswehr, but when the planned new medal was discussed on ARRSE some time ago I think there were favourable reactions. The new medal is in Maltese Cross shape and there is a photograph on the BBC link.

2. Recession , unemployment, a new iron cross is this the precursor to a new European tour, time to get the Sven Hassel books out again

3. Brilliant books & those by Leo Kessler (Charles Whiting).

4. I preferred the previous design. They should also bring back the Pour le Mérite

5. Oh, please. And red triplanes.

6. Technically the Pour le Merite never left - albeit it still exists only in its civil form (like the OBE there was a military and civil division).

7. Ohhhh...."Let's go where the Iron Crosses grow..."

8. If this keeps up the French will be cranking up production at the white flag factory.

9. I'm told that in the late 1950s there was a serving TA Soldier in Bristol who had the Iron Cross. He won it as a teenager fighting on the eastern front, he was a Czech German (Sudeten) or something simmilar. After the war he was lucky enough to end up in the UK, became a British Subject, and Joined the TA. As it was a bravery award and not political, he was allowed to wear it, with the Nazi symbols ground off, or so I was told over a beer by an old boy who served with him!

10. Here's a vid of the presentation ceremony for those who're interested. It's in German, but a whole bunch of ARRSErs are conversant with the language anyway:

http://www.spiegel.de/video/video-1010895.html

I wonder how long it'll take before your man Jimbo's sporting one.

MsG

11. He was a tanky, though I forget which regiment. Up for another crack at the Ivans no doubt.....

He was considered an asset in the unit because he had fought the Russians in his youth and had some idea of what to expect from them. Useful knowledge if the cold war had turned hot.

12. Cheers for the link Bugsy. Old Angela Merkel sounded bored to me, not her usual firey self.

13. As this was the first official presentation of the new medal, Recce, I reckon she was trying to distance the whole ceremony from the ardent, patriotic shite of the Third Reich. It was also she who insisted that the whole thing be very "civilian-orientated" and not overtly military.

Mind you, it's quite a handsome gong, innit?

MsG

14. alll together now...............

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht.............................

15. Oder auch:

Vor der Kaserne, Hände in den Schoß
    Wartet sie vergeblich auf den letzten Stoß

MsG