Germany: Avalanche kills British soldier

Germany: Avalanche kills British soldier

Thursday, 04 February 2010
BERLIN (AP) — Police say an avalanche in southern Germany trapped three British soldiers, killing one.
Police spokesman Christian Owsinski in the city of Kempten says that a group of 27 British troops on a weeklong backcountry ski training exercise in the Bavarian Alps was surprised by an avalanche Thursday.

The avalanche, which struck at an altitude of 5.000 feet (1.500 meters) when the group was skiing down the Riedbergerhorn mountain, engulfed three Britons.

Two of them could be dug out of the snow rapidly by their comrades, but a third soldier was later found unconscious. Rescue attempts failed.

Paramedics brought in by helicopter later declared him dead. Police did not release the soldier's identities in line with German privacy laws.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

Any other info? I have a (serving) neice snowboarding down there at the minute, im assuming the lack of phone calls is good news for me anyway, sorry not trying to sound happy, but you get my point.

Edit, apologies, didnt read correctly "him"

RIP

Rest well lad.

RIP

I think a fair few of us have been skiiing in and around that area, I;ve been several times and with my family too.

RIP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Aviation 32
Sam_Fisher Aviation 31
Sam_Fisher Aviation 16