Germans "scientology a commercial cult" ban Tom Cruise..

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6240312.stm

Germany has banned the makers of Tom Cruise's new movie from filming at military sites in the country because the actor is a Scientologist.
    The German defence ministry said Cruise has "publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult".

Scientology masquerades as a religion to make money, Germany said, but leaders of the church reject this.

Scientology has been monitored in Germany in the belief that its activities are "directed against the free democratic order" in the country.

Its status there as a commercial enterprise has prompted repeated protests from the organisation.

Stauffenberg's son Berthold told the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper earlier this week that he objected to Cruise taking the role because of his involvement with Scientology.

"He should keep his hands off my father," Mr von Stauffenberg said.

2. Scientology is almost as ridiculous as getting Tom Cruise to play von Stauffenberg in this movie in the first place.

Thetans can fcuk off.

3. Scientology is one of the most ridiculous religions i have ever heard of. Watching Panarama the other month just confirmed this for me.

Basically you need a couple of quid in the bank to be a member, if you have a celebrity tag attached, all the better.

Tom Cruise being a scientologist would explain to me why hes such a knob.

Editted for my turd spelling

4. Why can't we get legislation passed like this here in the States?

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You used the "R" word - its a commercial cult, officially :wink:

6. Because you have an alcoholic chimp in charge

7. Von Stauffenberg was a Prussian Aristo , how the hell is Cruise suitable to play him?

It's the sort of role that a young Jurgen Von Prochnow should be playing.

Can't Hollywood find an actor like that?

8. May have been mentioned elsewhere, but wasn't von Stauffenberg well over 6 foot and shy an eye and a hand?

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That might bring a real danger of accidental authenticity......

German actors are either "Bad Guys" or are only allowed to be U-boat commanders wearing off-white rollneck jumpers.....

10. I thought Cruise WASN'T gay?

The way the scientologists acted on Panaroma I wouldn't be surprised if scientologist 'agents' infiltrate this site with defensive waffle and stalk us all...

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't he 6'2 and missing his right hand and 3 fingers on his left?
    Also IIRC a devout Catholic (one of the reasons he felt uncomfortable with the nazis)
    So I doubt he would want a 5'2 member of a cult that believes in most things that Catholics wouldn't touch with a barge pole

12. devexwarrior wrote
    Don't worry either Cruise will be on stilts or they'll use lots of low camera angles and make the rest of the cast walk in trenches.
    As for the other, I can offer the loan of a sharp stick and a chainsaw...

13. See, the Boxheads can do the right thing...

occasionally

14. Because some time ago, a few of your countrymen got together and said this:-

Then there was some other stuff about the right to arm bears, not having to incriminate yourself and so on.

Oh - and let's not forget the little known third amendment that's never mentioned on TV courtroom dramas. It prohibits the government taking over private homes to use as barracks for soldiers. My granny would have loved that as her house was packed out with riotous squaddies for the duration of both WWI and WWII.

Anyway, back to the Scientologists. Your First Amendment guarantees freedon of religion. The price you pay for that is certifiable loons setting themselves up as the Messiah.

In return, you get to avoid the religious bloodbath we've had in much of Europe for the past 500 years. In the town where I live, there's a small monument to some folks who were burned alive for being Protestants. Further down the road there's another monument to a bloke who was beheaded later for not being a Protestant.

Religious bigotry and conflict survives to this day. Look at Ireland. Closer to home, I'm a Protestant. My wife was a Catholic. Some relatives wouldn't come to our wedding. Some relatives never spoke to us again after we got married.

Seems to me that a few celebrity nutters being parted from their cash is a small price to pay so you folks can avoid what goes on in other parts of the world in the name of religion.

15. Which is why I believe it would have been better to shoot him than ban him. I would have liken the jeermenns for that.