Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germans off their whatsits for most of WWII. Shock horror!

longtimeout

War Hero
Pervitin is still (at last until quite recently that I witnessed) readily available in the Czech Republic.

It's nasty stuff. A couple of guys that I worked with, who were quite hardened recreational chemical hoovers, were a little bit shaken by the strength of it.

It was sold with a warning "be careful, its very strong" . Being Spanish adrenalin junkies, my friends ignored the advice.

I assume that it's newly manufactured. I'm not sure how much it varies if at all, from the standard meth ampthetamines being sold around the globe.

fu2

LE
I seem to remember reading that british troops in Italy would be given a very generous rum Ration before a Major attack.

endure

GCM
Drinamyl (blueys/purple hearts) was better. You could get off your face without getting the janglies apparently...

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd been aware that Hiltler and Goering were massive drug fiends, but hadn't realised the extent to which both the Armed Forces and CivPop were popping uppers as fast as they could get them.

Many of the drugs Morell prescribed to Hitler were standard prescription drugs - some still available today. It was only in the last few months of the war that Hitler's physical condition really deteriorated and his intake rocketed. Check out Werner Maser's book on Hitler - it's based on Hitler's actual medical records.

Werner Maser - Wikipedia
Werner discovered Adolf Hitler's medical records from 1905 to 1945 which were previously thought to have been lost.

Goering was addicted to munching on pills - he crunched hundreds in a day, but the content of each pill was negligible. It's estimated he ate the equivalent of two aspirins a day. It's why he was weaned off the pills so easily at the Nuremberg Trials - it seems he ate the pills almost for something to do. Details in Richard Overy's biography of Goering. It contains much original research and paints a different picture from most books on Goering.

Wordsmith

I seem to remember reading that british troops in Italy would be given a very generous rum Ration before a Major attack.

I wonder if that fits with the story about some of the African troops in Italy. An old Italian friend said that they were causing problems for both sides, so the Allies filled them up with drink and sent them off on a suicidal attack somewhere near Cassino. I wouldn't be surprised if the Allies tipped the enemy off that they were coming; Catch 22 and all that.

I always felt sorry for poor old Charlie Kennedy, hounded out of office as Lib Dem leader just because he enjoyed a few shandies. Churchill was half cut for much of WW2, and it certainly didn't seem to impair his performance.
I wonder if it did affect his performance but it was hidden from the general public. The media was a bit more controlled back then.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Many of the drugs Morell prescribed to Hitler were standard prescription drugs - some still available today. It was only in the last few months of the war that Hitler's physical condition really deteriorated and his intake rocketed. Check out Werner Maser's book on Hitler - it's based on Hitler's actual medical records.

Werner Maser - Wikipedia

Goering was addicted to munching on pills - he crunched hundreds in a day, but the content of each pill was negligible. It's estimated he ate the equivalent of two aspirins a day. It's why he was weaned off the pills so easily at the Nuremberg Trials - it seems he ate the pills almost for something to do. Details in Richard Overy's biography of Goering. It contains much original research and paints a different picture from most books on Goering.

Wordsmith

My mate's Granddad was one of his jailers at Nuremberg and the took turns kicking him up the balloon knot as hard as they could

Werner Maser - Wikipedia

Wordsmith
Ohler disputes that
Hitler was on increasingly high doses of Eukodal, an opiate, from at least the surrender of 6th Army at Stalingrad.
Goring had 24,000 tablet doses of Eukodal in a suitcase when he was captured by the Americans. He must have run out of those aspirins, eh?
Ohler's research was done at various German archives and he claims that others may have missed evidence in Moller's notes due to not being fluent enough in German.
Perhaps you should read the book before passing judgement.

I've read somewhere that Eukodal was the German equivalent of Oxycontin, a much abused prescription painkiller in the present day.

I wonder if it did affect his performance but it was hidden from the general public. The media was a bit more controlled back then.
Fair point. And it would explain a few mishaps:

"Morning, Sir. Afraid it's got off to a bit of a bad start at Arnhem"

Churchill, clutching head & swigging tea to clear hangover - "Arnhem? What are you on about?"

"The big para drop on the Rhine bridges, Sir"

"Para drop? Rhine Bridges? Whose stupid idea was that? I'll have him dismissed!"

"Err.. It was you, sir. Before you turned in last Friday night. You drew a little plan on a few split beer mats & a cigar packet & told us to get on with it.."

PM clutches head... "Ah, feck.. Bastard brandy..."

IIRC, Hitler's inspirational public speaking at places like Nuremberg was due in no small part to large doses of pervitin administered by Dr M before the event. So impressed was Mr H that he ordered this wonder drug to be distributed to the German armed forces.

I wonder if the good doctor ever mentioned that he owned the factory that made the stuff.

One of the wonder weapons the Nazis developed when things were getting desperate was a one man miniature submarine. A plot was hatched to sail one of these gadgets up the Thames and drop explosives off under the ships found there. The allied lines in Europe at that time were far enough advanced that the navigator of the mini sub would have to stay awake for seven days. Experiments with amphetamines commenced. IIRC some of the volunteers died before they got anywhere near the docks. Others were never the same again after 7 days floating in a German harbour without sleep.

The last known film of Hitler was taken days before the end of the war. He was awarding medals to Hitler Youth boys who had been fighting the Red Army in Berlin. One of Hitler's hands was seen to be shaking and this has been taken as evidence that he had Parkinson's Disease. There's speculation that this might actually have been due to withdrawal symptoms caused by having to go cold turkey after the drug supply ran out.

Genuine wartime issued Pervitin tablets packed in a cigar type tube and still in the original 1940's dated boxes can still be bought on militaria websites every so often as a "new horde" turns up somewhere. They generally go for anything between 15-30 euro's depending on condition. One thing that's made me wonder about this trade is if it's actually legal or is it basically drug dealing considering what the tablets constituents actually are?8O
unless it's listed in this country in MDA scheds it's legal AIUI and it probably is, Mind it's probably down to T/S. However in 2007 Pervitin was being made in the Czek republic and was taken out.

One of Hitler's hands was seen to be shaking and this has been taken as evidence that he had Parkinson's Disease. There's speculation that this might actually have been due to withdrawal symptoms caused by having to go cold turkey after the drug supply ran out.

Some doctors have said that could be a direct effect of Hitler's meth abuse itself. It is known his doctor had him on Pervitin from 1942 onward. This article gives some dope (pun intended) on the possible consequences of meth use over an extended period:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/pd/2013/308052/

Bomber command had ' energy ' tablets in there flying ration tins. They came in little metal cylinders of about 5 tablets in a cardboard tube of about 6 cylinders. The boxes where printed with instructions to only consume on orders of the captain.

They to come up on eBay every now and again and go for a lot of money. Not sure it's strictly legal selling them....

Latest Threads