Germans In Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by lpu03sp, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A German friend of mine is conducting research about their involvement in Afghan.... she wants feedback/opinions from any Brits who have worked with or close to Zee Germans in theatre.

I've never worked with them myself and dont have any views.... any of your experiences or thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Cheers guys~
  2. I see 'clever journalists'.

3. journo

will hold a seance for my departed grand-dad, see what he remembers

Have a squint at that. It will show you just how many Bit and Boxhead troops brush shoulders in thier respective AOs on a daily basis and also give some facts(!) to help you with whatever you are writing.

There are of course some Germans further south, like KAF, where their PX sells Zippos with "Klägt nicht, Kämpft!" Don't whinge, fight! and other such guff. Interestingly they don't appear to leave camp so I can't give you a steer as who they are scrapping with.

None, officially, in Helmand. Met one chap, Wolfgang, from the FCO who was German if that helps.
  5. They're there?????
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Is there such a thing, I mean a clever journalist? :wink:
  7. An oxyMORON, perhaps?

As for the boxheads. They spend lots of time talking a good war and buying all the right kit to be seen in. Even their own press has slated them as being social workers in uniform.
  8. Sorry chappy, we are a bit busy down South at the mo, we would invite you down but well, you know the rest.
  9. Worked alongside them in Maz ar Sharif and Kunduz. Good bars.
  10. Was this Wolfgang driving a bratty wagon by any chance? :D

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

@ Bugsy - I assume you'll now be monitoring the German Media, looking for an insightful piece on the performance of the German Army in 'Stan? :wink:
  12. The last thing I saw was a piece in Der Spiegel or Stern about them patrolling.

It contained such gems as the vacuming thier vehs (Dingos?) before the off so as to prevent these pebbles becoming shrap in the event of a mine strike. Another was, and I paraphrase "Before setting of in the early dawn light they initiate their trip flares so as to prevent them falling in the hands of the enemy" or some such. Complete with picture of dawn and a veh lager lit brightly by the surrounding flares.

Tacticool! Or not.
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Vacuuming is something I read yesterday on another thread re APCs. I think it was the ZA guys who did that, for the very good reason mentioned above.

Do we?
  14. Thanks for the feedback/references dudes
  15. LOL... most definitely not a 'journo', you cynics!
    I was a soldier in the Royal Anglians... these days I'm a trainee pilot in the Fleet Air Arm.

The friend I mentioned is a German student writing a thesis for her Masters. She is investigating whether or not the Germans' reluctance to go to war (post 1945 of course!) has started to ease off. She also works for the German Defence Committee, so not a journo either Im afraid