German Woman, 95, Charged With Complicity In More Than 10,000 Murders During WWII

Like all these stories, you have to be careful. irc BDM wasn’t compulsory, it was more a matter of those in the NS party had access to it. It had links to HJ which was basically the party scout movement. How common was it for non party members to be intimidated or beaten up, quite common and by refusing to let his daughter join BDM it became a personal issue.Brown shirts were the SA
Grandad Anton found that life could become very difficult for non party members if the Gau was run by the NS. It was rather like a mafia operation. But that was earlier in the 30’s , but he had the perfect excuse to keep mum and my aunt out of the BDM. As an innkeeper he was training them in the job. Girls had to do Land arbeit compusorily from around age 15 or so.
A couple of sites say Jungmädel membership was compulsory for ethnically German, German girls aged from 10 to 14 without hereditary diseases from 1936, I can't find one that says otherwise. The JM were the youth section of the BDM. I have no idea if membership of the BDM was likewise compulsory.

A couple of sites say Jungmädel membership was compulsory for ethnically German, German girls aged from 10 to 14 without hereditary diseases from 1936, I can't find one that says otherwise.
Well Mum was born 1926, Aunt in 1920. Neither was a member of Jungmaedel from what they recalled and I've got all mums documents- no mention whatsomnever. Make of that what you will. Mum was deffo not BDM-don't know if Aunt was, but I have both Aunts Kauffmanisches cert and paperwork apprenticing Mum to the Oldenburgische Bank, plus both their school reports and neither indicate they were members of anything. There is another thing that might undermine the argument. Mum was laughably, processed by the Anti Nazi Commission in some time 1946 and she stayed at a Parsonage in Leigh in England to learn English properly in 1948. Aunt was by then working for the US air-force in Germany. I think given those factors it tells us things.

Well Mum was born 1926, Aunt in 1920. Neither was a member of Jungmaedel from what they recalled and I've got all mums documents- no mention whatsomnever. Make of that what you will. Mum was deffo not BDM-don't know if Aunt was, but I have both Aunts Kauffmanisches cert and paperwork apprenticing Mum to the Oldenburgische Bank, plus both their school reports and neither indicate they were members of anything. There is another thing that might undermine the argument. Mum was laughably, processed by the Anti Nazi Commission in some time 1946 and she stayed at a Parsonage in Leigh in England to learn English properly in 1948. Aunt was by then working for the US air-force in Germany. I think given those factors it tells us things.
Probably more to do with how keen the local party were about it and how big a community they lived in. Paula was from Bad Salzuflen a very conservative small town even in the 80s, so god knows what it was like in the 30s.

Edited to add this claims it was expected but not mandatory from 1936 and mandatory from 1939. So it wouldn't have been fully enforced until both your rellies mentioned would have been too old for the JM anyway.

Last edited:
Probably more to do with how keen the local party were about it and how big a community they lived in. Paula was from Bad Salzuflen a very conservative small town even in the 80s, so god knows what it was like in the 30s.
Exactly. Oldenburg, though NS from 1928 was quite small and came under Bremen. I even found out that the Gauleiter in the area had a stand up Row with Goering over some official pronouncement or bureaucratic change he wanted to introduce. He wasn't Mr Nice guy (all round nasty SOB)at all and died in 1942. In a somewhat ironic twist for me his name was Karl Roever. He's on Wikki; The key thing is he was apparently one of those who wanted to make his mark. He's all but forgotten now.

Latest Threads