German Wündertanks vs Shermans

The Australians thought so at the time, multiple reports of their lads getting into fights with Yanks over the film at the time, mainly alcohol involved, mind
So Drunk Aussies fighting is the level of your proof?

Using that standard they think closing time is proof the yanks won

But on the other-hand if Harry Hun had thought he was going to get captured by the nice western Allies, who, chances are, weren't going to shot him out of hand, bundle him off to their equivalent of Siberia or rape every woman age 8-80 they might not have put up such a struggle.....
Maybe, maybe not.

As I understand it, a great deal of the 'fighting to the end' which made such a bloodbath of Berlin, didn't involve native-born Hermans, rather it was Reichsdeutsch or Volksdeutsch troops enlisted in Wehrmacht or SS units, who were either (a) Dyed-in-the-wool Fascist traitors to their own motherlands, or (b) Certain that capture and repatriation would inevitably result in execution, or (c) A combination of both.

That said, I can't recall ever reading anything that made an attempt to quantify the scale of this Auslander component of the Berlin defence.

IIRC the Swedes were selling ball bearings to us & the krauts at the same time. Sure I've seen pics of unmarked Mossies on a swedish airfield with a Luftwaffe a/c in the background of vice versa.
BOAC Mosquitos like G-AGGF

(3) in the spirit of allied accord couldn't we just have produced T34 etc under licence?
It wasnt that great a tank.

For most of the war the Commander had to act as Loader as well The T34/85 finally solved that issue
No Turret basket
lousy optics
82% total made were lost

Later in the war, only the panzers retained any motorisation. The Divisions in Normandy, for instance were entirely bodenstag/static.
Check "10 Myths of the Wehrmacht" on my Scribd page (referenced and linked upthread) for a detailed sketch of the extraordinary array of ramshackle vehicles that was the MT fleet of a (nominally) mechanised Reconnaissance battalion in Normandy in the summer of 1944.

Mainly due to monumental callousness, stupidity and political interference, not something to wear as a badge of honour
That and the fact that they had a hu-feckin-mungous army in the field, spread across a hu-feckin-mungous front, and butting up against the lion's share of the Herman land forces in the field.

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Over 50% of all Lend Lease supplies to Russia, some 8.25 Million tonnes, came via the Bering Sea routes. Around 50,000 tonnes was lost during delivery.

Think of what that trade route could achieve if it’s ice free all year around.

Am I right in remembering that the US and Canada went on a big road building activity in Alaska, British Colombia, Yukon and the northern territories?

Edit.

Yes they did.

Alaska Highway - Wikipedia

About the only thing the T34 had over the Sherman was lower ground pressure & thus mobility in snow & mud.
Oh & a better A/T gun before the 76mm Sherman & HVAP came along.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Not even that. The M3 75mm, with capped AP shot, would get through about 70mm of armour (sloped at 30°, varied slightly between face-hardened or homogenous) at 500m; the T-34's 76mm F-34 gun would get through about 60mm at similar range and conditions. (they did have some APCR / HVAP which did better at shorter range, dropped off quite quickly to be no better at 1000m)

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
About the only thing the T34 had over the Sherman was lower ground pressure & thus mobility in snow & mud.
And better armour.

As has been said, different tank, designed to meet different criteria by different country’s.

didn't support his own idea and it was a vanity project conceived on a whim to outdo patton)
I'd agree all bar the 'to outdo Patton' piece.

And it ceased being Monty's Op the very moment the moment the first of many wheels came off.

At that point the shallow vain dilettante that was Boy Browning suddenly became sole proprietor of MG, and required to carry the can. Whipping Boy Browning :)

If this was going to be your signature operation, along a route, which XXX Corp knew to be narrow, would YOU not rush as many men as you can, to cover the flanks of XXX Corp ?? if necessary, comb out the support units, or even issue captured German rifles to local civvies, just to boost the mass either side.

The only conclusion I can come to, is you are right, it was utter chaos and we did the best we could. Or, it was a punt and monty was nervous about putting all his eggs in one basket, so ensued sufficient forces for other operations (didn't support his own idea and it was a vanity project conceived on a whim to outdo patton).
Have a look at Op Goodwood- too many troops, not enough ground.

A vanity project to outdo Patton, are you having a laugh. Patton commanded an army, Montgomery commanded Armies.

Think of what that trade route could achieve if it’s ice free all year around.

Am I right in remembering that the US and Canada went on a big road building activity in Alaska, British Colombia, Yukon and the northern territories?

Edit.

Yes they did.

Alaska Highway - Wikipedia

The biggest danger to Soviet shipping was US submarines. While the Japanese sank the odd ship off Alaska, (they were very anxious not to annoy the Russians), USN submarines operating in the La Perrouse straight north of Japan, (the Summer route): and south of Japan and in the Sea of Japan, (the Winter route) sank a fair few.

IIRC the Swedes were selling ball bearings to us & the krauts at the same time. Sure I've seen pics of unmarked Mossies on a Swedish airfield with a Luftwaffe a/c in the background or vice versa.
And I've been told by a friend with a Swedish wife this is not a subject to be discussed with Grandpa who can get quite defensive about it.

And better armour.

As has been said, different tank, designed to meet different criteria by different country’s.
82% of the production total was lost in action

Its initial advantage against Wehrmacht tanks was their weak armament

37mm and 50mm L/42 short guns and short barreled 75mm L/24 howitzers

It was the F2 Special and the longer barrel 75mm L/43 & L/48 and the L/60 50mm that put the germans on a better footing to fight the T34

D

Deleted 154930

Having read much the same sources as others, maybe after awhile, you start to critique decisions and probably start to see history through a modern lense. So I apologise, it was not my intention to besmirch Monty or anyone, just not a fan of his, read his biography, which didn't form a favourable impression on me. Whereas, Frosts Biography, made a much more favourable impression.

If anyone has read the war diary of 116th Panzer Division, you see how stretched the German Army really was, even in a well equipped and well led unit. Its staggering, they were able to get so much out of so much poor material (very young, middle aged men) and keep fighting for so long.

On tanks, one of big what ifs for me, was if we could have got say a 150 Matilda IIs in France 1940. Given the tank was designed years earlier, it could have made a massive difference.