• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

German TV star in scandal

Could be that he got drafted in 1943 and therefore didn't have much choice.
Even if he did volunteer, how culpable could an 18 year old be? Hitler would have been in power for most of his life (1933) and he like all other Germany children would have been indoctrinated into believing that Hitler was a living God. Surely after Labour Service any fit Junger with all his teeth would have opted for the Waffen SS. I would have! :crazy:
I'm sure, since he's been dead for a bit, that he's gutted a Dutch cable TV channel will not be doing reruns of his TV show.

Maybe I have read the wrong info, but I was of the opinion that there were 'good' and professional SS batalions also. Not all were killing grannies and children, or is that history not allowed as we won?

So what's your point scaleydave? From that list you appear to have missed the Dresden massacre. Oops my mistake that was the RAF.

My point being that both sides carried out murderous acts on varying scales, if you read some of your links it lists incidents by allied troops too.

Sent via Tapatalk with addictive texting.

So what's your point scaleydave? From that list you appear to have missed the Dresden massacre. Oops my mistake that was the RAF.

My point being that both sides carried out murderous acts on varying scales, if you read some of your links it lists incidents by allied troops too.

I'd say the point being made is that they were a bunch of nasty cunts, as for Dresden, fuck off they started it

Dresden 'Massacare'?...oh dear., here we go with another 'poor innocent German' thread.

The casualties of Dresden were inflated to gain sympathy to help reconcile post war dislike of Germans as we needed them to be used as a barrier between us and Ivan, although 'feeling sorry for yourself' is yet another particular trait of the Germans, along with underlining smugness and sense of entitlement.

To compare any war crime committed by Allies as 'typical behaviour' is to forget that Nazi murders were part of policy and usually encouraged and/or overlooked by the their High Command.

Allied Bombing was a governmental policy, that doesnt alter its status as a war crime or not, but the crime if one existed (and thats a subject in its own right) would be at Churchills feet as it was he that carried the authority to sanction it

The war crimes listed above were initiated on at unit level, admittedly within an evironment that sanctioned it possibly encouraged it, but the individual actions were the responsibility of the individual units and violated the established rules of war as they were at the time

So to say that the Waffen SS were the "good guys" and that all nasty stuff was the fault of the other branches of the SS is a falsehood - I am not saying that ALL Waffen SS members were guilty of war crimes, indeed a minority of them were conscripted , but the vast majority were were not conscripted (even after 1943)

The Waffen SS was declared a criminal organisation at the Nuremburg Trials, apart from a list of very specific atrocities they were also instrumental in more generalised war crimes, such as the rounding up of jews for transportation, conducting scorched earth policies against partizans and summary executions

The membership of a criminal organistion applies only to those Waffen SS members who were not conscripted after 1943

I do not know if the individual was a conscript or not, but I can see why the TV program was pulled, there is residual "guilt by association"

Latest Threads