German Tank museum Munster

ECE-Tech

War Hero
Visited it today with my father, (22 years service but nothing to do with tanks) whilst he was was here.
250 km drive from Paderborn but in spite of the traffic we had a fantastic day out

They even have a Centurion there with a Union Flag pennant on the radio antenna.
I was embarressed and cringing when I spotted that the Union Flag was upside down.
I was even more embarresed and cringing when I mentioned this to the staff on leaving, so they could correct it, then informed by them that they were not allowed to touch it.
Said Centurion not belonging to them but to the british army who come in and maintain it.

Flying a national flag upside down is an international distress signal apparently.
Perhaps they know something we don't?
Been there meself, great museum and a good day out.
Frightening to imagine being in front of one of those fcukers with a .303 about 70 odd years ago.................................

ECE-Tech

War Hero
Frightening to imagine being in front of one of those fcukers with a .303 about 70 odd years ago.................................
That is exactly what crossed our minds when we stood in front of the Tiger 1,
Then we turned about to see the Tiger II.
Shock and awe !!!!

Gearspotter

Old-Salt
Said Centurion not belonging to them but to the british army who come in and maintain it.
That Centurion was a 105mm gun tank that was on the books of 32 Armoured Engineer Regiment circa 1987. The nominal "crew" was the QM(T), the Tech Adjt and a couple of the old 'n' bold Warrant Officers. They used to go down once a month to carry out the Commander's Functional Test (CFT). Apparently this involved drinking lots of beer and schnapps with the Museum Manager and his staff! As it was on the books, if the Regiment got Active Edged for real the QM(T) and his team would have to double down to the Museum and start it up to join the rest of the Regiment as it headed out to act as a speed bump for the oncoming Russian Hordes!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I remember the Panzer ll being handed over to the museum with all pomp and ceremony after it's reconstruction, though what the Brits had to do with it I can't recall. Any Pictures from your visit?

ECE-Tech

War Hero
Any Pictures from your visit?
Dad had the camera and took a few pictures. Doesn´t have his download cable with him so possibly next wednesday/thursday before I get them via email.
Should any of you intend visiting there, may I request you contact me.
At the exit of the last hall, there is a hand-cranked machine that will squash and emboss coins with the museums logo.
You need a 1-Euro coin and a 5-cent coin. I presume the 5-cent is squashed and embossed and the 1-Euro is swallowed.
Big sign up that the cafeteria won´t provide change for that purpose and both of us had cleared our wallets of schrapnel the evening before.
I would be after a pair of them.
My next planned visit is to their open day next year (This year it was Sept 1st) when they have vehicles running outside.
I already have instructions from my father to inform him when they publish the date for next year so they can plan their next trip over.

Visited it today with my father, (22 years service but nothing to do with tanks) whilst he was was here.
250 km drive from Paderborn but in spite of the traffic we had a fantastic day out

They even have a Centurion there with a Union Flag pennant on the radio antenna.
I was embarressed and cringing when I spotted that the Union Flag was upside down.
I was even more embarresed and cringing when I mentioned this to the staff on leaving, so they could correct it, then informed by them that they were not allowed to touch it.
Went years ago when i was in Hohne. Funny how the thought of a 250km journey to go for a day out never even seemed OTT!

Not just the flag on the Centurion antenna. From their website:

munster museum UJ.jpg

ECE-Tech

War Hero
I will have no problem with driving the distance to their open day in 2014. It was well worth the drive when none of the vehicles were moving.

I have already been in contact with their press department. The date is confirmed, always the first Sunday in September.
Various vehicles will be running but the theme has not yet been decided therefore no info yet as to which of them it will be.

They should really sort out the Leopard on the flatbed at the front though. I think the amount of coats of paints on the thing are thicker than the Zimmerit coating on the Tiger.

Do me a favour folks, also worth a visit is the Munster All Weather Zoo,I helped to design the odd enclosure and display area in my 18month there, it is one of the best zoos in Europe and a great experience for parents and children alike, the canalboat trip around the enclosures is not to be missed

Do me a favour folks, also worth a visit is the Munster All Weather Zoo,I helped to design the odd enclosure and display area in my 18month there, it is one of the best zoos in Europe and a great experience for parents and children alike, the canalboat trip around the enclosures is not to be missed
Why was the enclosure odd?

Think we are talking about different Muensters here sadly for you Nignoy, though I agree the Zoo is well worth a visit.

honey badgers are very rarely seen in captivity, like the wolverine, to savage and they only toleratethe other sex of the same species a couple of days a year for mating, the odd enclosure was a shrine to tankies who could read!!

honey badgers are very rarely seen in captivity, like the wolverine, to savage and they only toleratethe other sex of the same species a couple of days a year for mating, the odd enclosure was a shrine to tankies who could read!!
Sounds like a marriage...

ECE-Tech

War Hero
Clarification for anyone intending to visit either of the two, both of which are good days out.

The Allwetterzoo is in Münster (Area code 41861)
Allwetterzoo Münster - Tiere hautnah erleben - Zoo plus Museum plus Robbenhaven

The tank museum is in Munster (Area code 29633)
Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster: Home
Heidepark Soltau is not far away if you need an excuse to get up there with family approval.
Heide Park Resort - Freizeitpark und Familienpark in Deutschland

And apparrently camping / caravanning is also very easy up there, On the route in from the Autobahn to the museum, we saw several campervans parked up on the laybys ;)

Latest Threads