German President invited to Cenotaph.

With all due respect, the allies were also very careless of the rules of war at times too. History is written by the victors.
Perhaps you can help me out here then re these WW1 'Firsts'......and for fun, let's imagine that the History was written by a neutral.

Who invaded who?
Who went via a Neutral country
Bombing by air and shelling by battleships of civilian targets
Use of Poisen Gas
Use of Flamethrowers

Go a bit deeper and you will realise it was also an overgrown family argument between cousins. Do you want to look at the British Empire and it's air policing of the Kurdsin the Middle East in the 1920's? How about the Boer War and Kitchener's scorched earth policy?

We can go on - you should know that there are rules of engagement and there are ways of achieving the objective. War now is different to war 100 years ago which was different to war 100 years before that.

You are arguing with yourself.

Now this IS what you call proper remembering. Proper proper.
I wonder if he’ll make a speech. *tap tap (blow)* “Is zis on? Oh, err, hmm, err, sorry!”

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
True but WWI was the cause of Remembrance Sunday and arguably the first major world wide conflict. As there is nobody left from WWI I think it's very important it's commemorated.
Seven Years War was the first truly world wide conflict

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hence arguably, a thought does occur if the German does get invited will the Turkish bod get an invite? :plotting:
Need to round up a few Eastern European Premiers to rep the Austro-Hungarian Empire

Regrettably none of the latter ended up free for 45 more years. Churchill is not a hero in Poland. Otherwise I concur.
Churchill wasn’t enough of a hero here to win the post-war election either!
AFAIK Churchill recognised what a shower of shite Josef Stalin was and would have been quite happy to use our temporary nuclear advantage to continue the war against him. Neither the British public nor the US would have had any truck with it.

I have a new rule. Anything that Richard 'did I mention that I was supreme intergalactic space commander in Afghanistan' Kemp thinks is a bad idea is probably a bloody good thing to support.
I see the headline in that paper that cannot be named describes Richard Kemp as "ex Army chief". Bloody good going for a full Col.

Over a year ago I raised this as a question of when and if it would ever be suitable to invite our former enemies. I was assured by the posters responding that it was a bad idea and should never happen. Thinking on now, should we invite the Japanese as our WW1 Allies and the Italians too?

The Japanese were very good allies in WWI, and, their treatment of POWs was regarded as exemplary and cited as an example of how it should be done.

They don't do Armistice Day there, they have if I recall right a national day of mourning later in the month which is similar instead.
I know, but I was thinking that they could do something for the 100th anniversary at which the president's attendance would be appropriate.

Is that your response?.. 'that I'm arguing with myself' then add a load of old half truths and immature rhetoric that a silly 14 year old would come out with?.

Stick to the subject and the time scale of thread you prick ..... before i'll rip any argument you got to pieces..

.......and before you go , I suggest that you read up about how tribal law was enford in Kurdistan and the surrounding region at that time, without a Brit to be seen, and also the British casuality figures though disease during the Boer campaign and also the life expectancy and causes of death in British cities at the same time.

At a guess, I bet that you're also a Holocaust Denier and Nazi revisionist........same mindset , see.

You think that you've learned something but you're not clever enough to question it or see it objectively. You just stick with what you suits your own limited mentall needs.

Here's one for your Mum to read to you

For clarity, does this mean you do not want to see former enemy at the remembrance service and only former allies?

Dresden memorial perhaps?
I'm sure the RAF could muster a Squadron or two for a flypast to mark the occasion
In 1988, the Berlin Infantry Brigade Queen’s Birthday Parade was held in the presence of HMTQ. The RAF contribution was planned to be the BBMF up until quite a late stage in the planning, until the diplomatic sensitivity of flying a Lanc back over Berlin was pointed out. Shame really.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is however about dead soldiers, a 100 years later I don't see the harm. The German blokes are just as dead as our blokes.
****. Another Helm post I'm compelled to give a like to.

Probably the wisest thing I've ever read.

"The German blokes are just as dead as our blokes"

Go a bit deeper and you will realise it was also an overgrown family argument between cousins. Do you want to look at the British Empire and it's air policing of the Kurdsin the Middle East in the 1920's? How about the Boer War and Kitchener's scorched earth policy?

We can go on - you should know that there are rules of engagement and there are ways of achieving the objective. War now is different to war 100 years ago which was different to war 100 years before that.

You are arguing with yourself.
Having been taught about both the examples you mention, plus having read about them in history books I wasn't aware they were suspposed to be little known parts of our history!