German President invited to Cenotaph.

The Government are considering inviting the German President to the Cenotaph on Armistice day to commemorate 100 years of the end of WW1.

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-09-24/...anys-president-to-cenotaph-for-ww1-centenary/

This was also discussed on Jeremy Vine on Channel 5. Colonel (Retd) Richard Kemp said that he was not against the visit, but was concerned that it would detract from the true meaning of the occasion.

Danny Boyle (film director) has also been asked to film it.

I’m all for the visit, but this is starting to look like a circus.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I agree there Dinger, it's not a bad idea but it should be a dignified ceremony not a celeb love in.

Absolutely! Less than a hundred years after Waterloo we were alongside the Frogs fighting the ..... mmmmm well, anyway, it is 100 years since the great war. I now there was a little misunderstanding between then and now but really, so long as it doesn't become a Danny Boyle circus luvvie fest I think it's time to acknowledge the past - otherwise what have all our combined NATO exercises been about?

I have a new rule. Anything that Richard 'did I mention that I was supreme intergalactic space commander in Afghanistan' Kemp thinks is a bad idea is probably a bloody good thing to support.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think that they've just invited him along to rub his/their nose in it "2 World Wars and 1 World Cup, doo dah, doo dah"

I think that they've just invited him along to rub his/their nose in it "2 World Wars and 1 World Cup, doo dah, doo dah"
Yea but yea but the Gerry's have won more world cups (4) and killed massively more of their enemies than they have lost.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've no idea what Mr Boyle could possibly do to the Cenotaph ceremony as it is fit for purpose and does not need the luvvy input. No doubt he could play about with the variety show from the Albert Hall the night before as that is now more of a variety show than military commemoration.

I've no idea what Mr Boyle could possibly do to the Cenotaph ceremony as it is fit for purpose and does not need the luvvy input. No doubt he could play about with the variety show from the Albert Hall the night before as that is now more of a variety show than military commemoration.
But the Remembrance Day parade is somewhat lacking in diversity and multicultural stuff, perhaps, which is where Mr Boyle comes in: a bit of Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance, followed by some Zulu or Masai spear dancers, British Grenadiers, then a bit of, say, rapping by the east London youth ensemble, Soldiers of the Queen, then some soldiers who are queens, and so on.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yea but yea but the Gerry's have won more world cups (4) and killed massively more of their enemies than they have lost.
Remember that in WW2, a fair number of their losses were self imposed! :sad:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Whatever he does to the pile of dog toffee that the Remembrance Festival has become, I won't be seeing it. I'll be here, watching this - Event - Arts Theatre

But the Remembrance Day parade is somewhat lacking in diversity and multicultural stuff, perhaps, which is where Mr Boyle comes in: a bit of Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance, followed by some Zulu or Masai spear dancers, British Grenadiers, then a bit of, say, rapping by the east London youth ensemble, Soldiers of the Queen, then some soldiers who are queens, and so on.
and a few stabbings

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer