German PoW Records

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by MightyBigEgo, Jun 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,
    my grandfather was taken prisoner in Italy in 1943 and taken to Stalag 344 in Lamsdorf (modern day Lambinowce in Poland).
    He recently died and I was given his medals and would like to know more about his life as a PoW. He kindly had his teeth knocked out by the SS, was on the Deathmarch in 1945 and liberated by the Russians.

I have contacted APC Glasgow for his service record and Historical Discosures for his British PoW records. I asked if the latter included the German records as he would have been hospitalised after his "emergency dental surgery" and the woman on the line didn't know.

My question, therefore, is does anyone know who to contact with the Germans, to see if they have his PoW records? Would I have to contact the Poles as the camp is now in Poland?

Many Thanks

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

3. "A collection of records detailing more than 100,000 British prisoners of war captured during the Second World War was launched online today in a "world first".

History website Ancestry.co.uk said the lists were compiled by the German military authorities under the 1929 Geneva Convention and were one of the few sources open for public inspection."

Google......a piece of pish.

4. Thanks but have already done this, all it gives is name, rank, number, camp held at and PoW number.

5. May be able to get more information about the camp, if any use?

6. What exactly are you looking for? How many lice he got? Perhaps an "Anne Frank" style diary?