German POW camps

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by happybonzo, Feb 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stalag Luft, I assume that meant a camp for the Flyers? Were the Army and Navy held in separate camps and if so, what would they have been designated?
  2. Army ranks NCO etc held in - Stammlager (stalag)
    Army Officers held in - Officerlager (oflag)
    Royal Navy - Mortlag
    Merchant Navy - Milag (inturned)
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I think it maybe was at the start of WW2 but towards the end it desended in to chaos

A good book to read is The last Escape by J Nicholl and Tony Renall
  4. Many thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Penal camp (as opposed to a concentration camp):

6. Luft was because it was run by the German Airforce.
  7. Impressive speedy response Leveller, which prompts me to ask:

I'm going on a battlefield tour soon (all being well) and this may well be a project so do you know much about POW's taken on D DAY?

And if so can you share it or the best sources?
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Hans von Luck commanded 21PD Kampfgruppe on D-Day, facing the Paras around Caen. After serving his time in the Gulags, he was approached by Sandhurst to give battlefield tours (his defence of Bourgebous Ridge during Goodwood was a classic). His autobiography, Panzer Commander, describes the capture of a few D-Day prisoners.
  9. I thank you. I'm really after details of us capturing them though, it will be a compare the lessons of then and now type thing I understand.

10. If youwant to know what happened to Germ,ans who tried to surrender read the many eye witness accounts. In some cases Germans were simply shot while trying to surrender or immediately after capture.

Mr Google is your friend for an overview including eye witness statements

To find out an offical line try the histories of the Int corps or the RMP. The British and US offical histories may have somethign on the matter too.

If you want someone to sort out the battlefield tour admin and find guides etc try Poppy Travel.
  11. Many were heared towards the beach heads and interned in side make shift fences until they could be lifted back to the UK and beyond and some were quite happy to throw in the towel
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I have a feeling naval camps were Marlag. Annoyingly I can't remember his name but there was a book out once by a war artist who was sketching ops in the Eastern Med when he was nabbed and so there should be some good pics of life in a Marlag in it.