German point of view of D-Day

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by rafterman2, Mar 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all - just started 'The Germans in Normandy' by Richard Hargreaves, and so far so good. Interesting to read a different perspective of D-day.

2. I imagine the German point of view can be summarised thus:

'Jesus Christ, have you ever seen so many f*cking ships...I want my mummy!'

I havent read the book, so dont take that as a real review! If its any good let us all know, it does sound interesting.

3. To be honest I've not got to that bit yet. It seems to be the ideal posting so far!!!

4. I tell you what
    It must have taken some balls to stay on those guns though, they woke up to one hell of a shock! Theres not much on eyewitness accounts because a high percentage copped it, either at their posts (The 352nd tried to hold out), legging it or done over by pissed off Allied troops.
    Makes you think what options you had faced with the odds like that, one could'nt really sign off in those days or fly to Bangkok

5. A lot of the troops on the channel coast where either russians or poles who had been forcibly conscripted into the german army. These poor guys where forced at gun point to defend their posts by german NCOs, though some did turn on their overseers, shoot them and then surrender.

Also, due to the heavy gun bombardment, leaving their bunkers would have been suicide. the bunkers where very well made and AFAIK not many where actually destroyed by naval gunfire. Also they had no transport and therefore no means of escape, they had to fight or surrender.

Those beach defences never had a real chance of repelling a concerted assault. Their function would be to hold the allies back long enough for the reincforcements consisting of panzer division ot be brought forward to attack the beachheads. Fortunately for the allies Operation Fortitude (the deception operation) as well as airpower prevented german reinforcements from getting a chance to attack the beach heads. Plus you have to give a big thank you to Adolf Hitler who retained control of the panzer divisions. he wasnt woken until 2 pm or so on D-Day, about 9 hours after the main landings had started. Even then he refused to allow them to move.

Hearing about this from the german side might be interesting...i look forward to your review!

6. Poor fools by the beaches were waiting for 'three and four pence' which, if some are to be believed were deliberatly keep back to aid a sucessful landing...

7. In fact im pretty sure i read somewhere that on D-Day the americans had captured some Koreans on one of their beaches. The Koreans had originally been forced to fight for the Japanese (Korea was a japanese colony prior to WW2)

Prior to pearl harbour (and the soviets joining WW2) the USSR and japan fought a short war in Mongolia, and these guys had been captured by the Soviets. Forced to fight for the russians they had been captured by the germans on the eastern front. They then where forced to fight for the germans and where captured by the yanks...who didnt make them fight!

**EDIT**

A quick google search found this, though im not vouching for its accuracy but it does bear out what i remember!

http://ww2f.com/western-europe-1943-1945/22188-korean-soldiers-normandy.html

8. I remember a Sven Hassel book mentioning that. (Not the greatest historical reference I know!)

9. The book sounds interesting and I would like to add it to my library, unfortunatley I have a limited choice. New mainstream history books in Cyprus are difficult to find, mostly you will find the typical travellers fair, once only read paperbacks. Unless of course it involves the 1974 invasion and the CIA, which nobody outside Cyprus can remember. It would be helpful if I could read Greek, I have more chance in breaking the Enigma Code. Thanks for the tip though, maybe next time I return to Blighty I will look it up
    Cheers

10. I think the book is Paris is Burning, I think I have them all stashed somewhere

11. I don't envy your book situation Taff. This is my favourite section of ARRSE, to find your next book hints from 'like minded' folks is priceless! Will update when I have finished 'The Germans in Normandy'.

12. I think I .remember the beginning of the book, had to skip it as he was shooting British soldiers!

13. Liquidate Paris.

14. Before I left the service I blitzed Amazon for a year, I was expecting a litary drought. I am playing catchup. At the moment I am concentarting on the Roman Empire for my OU studies. In between I like a little distraction, therefore, I am on the last 90 pages of this one. Have you read James Holland with the Sgt Jack Tanner novels. The first one is set during the Norway Campaign, to be honest it was a little flat and nothing special, it was too much too soon for the lead character, although the Norwegian Campaign was a refreshing backdrop. The second novel 'Darkest Hour' is set during the Battle for France. Its a belter, a good sub plot in Company backstabing and eventual foul play, a bit like Sharpe and Hakeswell, also an SS VT officer after his blood mixed in with the withdrawl to Dunkirk. Not to be read if your Frech. Well recommended, the third novel is out soon, but alas ill have to wait.

15. My brains going soft. Good title and idea though