German penetration bomb in the Irish Sea

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by theoriginalphantom, May 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [/quote]About 250 ferry passengers and crew are stranded on ships after a 500lb (227kg) bomb was found in the River Mersey.
    The explosive, from World War II, was discovered by the Royal Navy at Twelve Quays dock, Birkenhead.

The Mersey Viking and Dublin Viking, travelling from Dublin and Belfast, have been waiting since the early hours of Tuesday to dock.

Navy divers are currently moving the 7ft (2.1m) device out to a safe area of the Irish Sea to detonate it.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wonder what they were doing to find it?
    Or better what were they looking for and why when they found that!

3. It's holding up two ferries.

Is that what they call double penetration?

4. Strange how these sort of things are a total non story here in Boxhead land.

At least once a week a bomb of some sort from WW2 is dug up and the local area is evacuated.

If it is reported at all on the news it is as a filler item at the end, just before the "Man bites dog" funny bit.

I have heard that in Berlin and Dresden every building site that is going to be digging foundations has a resident priest on hand along with the local civilian bomb removal bloke.

60 odd years later and we are still finding bombs and body bits. Make you realise just how bad it must have been at the time.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suppose its news in scallypool when the latest batch of famine relief is held up from signing on!

6. Is it too late to sue the luftwaffe for missing ?

7. I heard Miss Ing is now happily married.

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They were up here last week disposing of an old rusty grenade found in a house. Plenty of munitions still around.

9. One of the most disturbing cases involved almost 500 phials of anthrax vaccine that had drifted into a Dorset bay. Investigations suggested that sailors on a British warship had hurled the vaccine overboard. Safety alerts were issued after people stumbled across anti-tank mines on two popular Norfolk beaches. Flammable liquids had to be cleared from a Guernsey beach last summer.

Full article

A couple of years old but it seems you can't blame the Germans for everything.

10. Why not? They started it :D

11. True.

But there's some real nasties washing up on the beaches.

And worse still they mostly arrived by car and brought the caravan.

12. We had a WWII Grenade out the back of the TAC here in Northampton a few weeks ago, funnily enough it was on the first RT1 training weekend I was going to.. it's a good job I left 10Mins late otherwise I would have had to stand around for hours waiting for the Bomb squad to clear the area.. Saying that they cleared out three streets for an old grenade!!

*I thought they were going a bit over-the-top myself! & after it had all finished the caretaker let me into the barracks only to be shouted at by a police helicopter asking me to remove myself from the danger area! (erm it went off 20Mins ago lads)...

13. the royal navy were doing a survey of the bed of the river last nite and they found the bomb. it is being detonated to night @ 2030 off the north coast of the wirral. it has been towed to safe distance and the ferrys are now bk in b'head.

14. I thought they just exchanged pendants at the FA Cup Final.

I hate bad losers.