German Museum of Navy planes and blimps at Nordholz

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mobile_Infantry, Jul 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interested in some pics from the Museum of German Navy planes and blimps ? It´s at Nordholz near Cuxhaven in North-West Germany.
    Nice scale models, rare documents and some good old planes and choppers:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The official website
  2. MI , thank you for the time and trouble to put together such an enjoyable post. Makes me wonder if we should open a specific 'Museum visits and look what I fell over in the woods" thread?

What does everyone think?
  3. Grouped by subject? I think that if they were all put together it could get a bit jumbled, but if you could split them out by interest group, I think they'd be useful.
  4. I was in Friedrichshafen, the home of the Zeppelin and Dornier companies, a good few years ago as part of a youth exchange and we visited the Zepplin museum which was very educational.
  5. I would enjoy it!
  6. Youth exchange? Don't you mean the Zeppelin production plant?
  7. The Zeppelin-Museum at Friedrichshafen is still on my to-do list. A friend visited it some years ago and was excited.

I think a special topic on museums and places of interests is a splendid idea.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

if you liked that and you're in the north/midlands of england, try visiting the York air museum - they have a Victor still capable of ground running and a lot of cool stuff to see. great pics btw.
    on a side note, interesting to see that they left the swastikas on the Hindenburg. if you buy a model of a WWII german aircraft made in the EU, it wont have any on the decal sheet. but every one you see in a museum still has one. a bit daft trying to pretend otherwise IMO.
  9. All the models have the swas either removed from the decal sheet or cut up so as to try and not make it look like a swas :? But no fear, you can easily by sheets of aircraft swas decals :scratch:

weirdness abounds. It's legal to sell Mein Kampf on German E-bay but illegal to sell a German soldier's belt buckle :roll:

Still, nice photos, pity the zepps and WWII vintage helos are only models. Don't know if any of the German WWII helos survived at all.
  10. Just nip out on an ARRSE p*ss up and you'll see loads of Zeppelins.
  11. Jolly Good Ixdea
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'All the models have the swas either removed from the decal sheet or cut up so as to try and not make it look like a swas But no fear, you can easily by sheets of aircraft swas decals' - cdo_gunner
    yeah, I'm quite into modelmaking when I get the chance, I have a couple where the company printing the decals have done them in sections. but the thing that strikes me as silly is, as I say, if you see a WW2 german aircraft in a museum or a picture, they dont expunge the swastika from it there. just strikes me as trying to rewrite history, but only doing part of the job, if you know what I mean. On a side note, I bought a very expensive museum-grade kit of a bf-109 a few years ago made by a Polish firm - that *did* include the swastikas for the tail fin. Now if anyone has cause to dislike seeing nazi insignia, I would have thought it would be the poles.
  13. PTP,

An excellent idea - if I'd thought about it at the time I'd have taken a camera with me last week - here in Singapore the govt. has recently renovated and re-opened the old Ford Factory where Percival surrendered to the Japanese in '42. The mother-in-law was staying over at the time and we wandered over. She found the place particularly impressive - especially being able to operate the air raid siren which brought back memories of her childhood in London.

There's some other "museum-type" places around the island - I'll see what I can do.

14. Midland Air Museum in Coventry have one on loan from Cranfield, though they get a bit touchy when you make enquiries about it returning to the Reich :twisted:

LancsLad, yes please. If anyone has exotic museum ,battlefield visits or archaeology photos* , place them in this thread for the time being , and I'll create a new thread/sticky when we have enough material.

Thanks in anticipation

*Taken by yourself not ripped from the web.