German MOD: New reserve commitment for ex-regulars

German journalist/blogger Thomas Wiegold has got hold of the German MOD's draft New Reserves Strategy:

The aims are as follows: 1) make it possible to increase the Bundeswehr's strength quickly in a crisis 2) targeted mobilisation of smaller groups in order to improve the Bw's readiness (IE like Intelligent Mobilisation). The big changes are that everyone leaving the Bw who is still legally "wehrdienstfähig" (=would be liable to conscription if it were in force, ie of age, medically fit, and in good standing) and who is not needed in certain categories of infrastructure jobs gets a 6 year reserve commitment, and the potential grounds for mobilisation are being extended.

As well as the "state of defence" (Verteidigungsfall) and "state of tension" (Spannungsfall, basically transition-to-war) there will be another "state of increased readiness" (Bereitschaftsfall). This last would allow the federall government to call out the reserve for training purposes for an unlimited period of time. At the moment, the Germans have about 3.5k posts for volunteer reservists, who do an annual training camp; the new regular reserve would be able to take part but wouldn't be obliged to, so the increased readiness state is meant to get them in for training if things look dodgy. This will need new legislation. The previous policy from 2012 had the reserve primarily supporting the civil power; the new one emphasises national defence and contribution to NATO collective defence.

The numbers are substantial - in the first year they would be adding 15k reservists to the existing 3.5k volunteer reserves. The draft accepts that this will mean re-establishing quite a bit of infrastructure as the Cold War era district reinforcement units and local military liaison offices were closed down with the end of conscription. The new force will be locally recruited and the plan is to set up regional training centres. They hope that this will contribute to civil-military relations and to regular recruiting.

Most of the new posts will be assigned to either regional security/support units* or else what sounds like a BCR pool. The MOD is going to make a formal announcement on the 18th.

*these are company-sized infantry groups, sort of CCRF-y, left over from when the homeland defence regiments were cut back drastically in 2007 - they include most of the existing reservists. presumably they are going to grow back into battalion strength?

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
I hope they get guns, not broomsticks...

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I assume this is Zeitsoldaten after discharge? Makes the age range, what, 30-40-odd?

I assume this is Zeitsoldaten after discharge? Makes the age range, what, 30-40-odd?
"aller wehrdienstfähig aus dem aktiven Dienst ausscheidenden Soldatinnen und Soldaten der Bundeswehr" - ie everybody, but in practice it will be that (rather than long service Berufssoldaten) because that's the population.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
"aller wehrdienstfähig aus dem aktiven Dienst ausscheidenden Soldatinnen und Soldaten der Bundeswehr" - ie everybody, but in practice it will be that (rather than long service Berufssoldaten) because that's the population.
There'll be massive over-representation of high-end Gefreiten and Uffz-HFw in that case, I suppose a good cadre for HSK v2.0.

Look what happened the last time they mobilized their reserves in August ( 1914 )
Any way , so long as they're aiming for Paris again , and not the Channel Ports as in 1940 , we'll be fine .

They getting itchy? Thinking of travelling again?
Nah, they are having dire problems recruiting and people are retiring at the end of their service with no one to fill the vacancies. I have previously mentioned that when I was over in Germany a couple of times last year I was told about the problem and about the re-hiring of retired personnel.

I met one WO equivalent who had been out for a while, become disenchanted with civvy life and had gone back to his nice Bundeswehr job in the IT department with no loss of rank, or seniority and able to serve on till the age of 60 something. I bought the subject up with a couple of the KSK SF lads I am acquainted with and one of them happily told me that as long as he can stay with the regiment he will stay in the Bundeswehr. The talent/recruitment shortfall is across the board from clerical to SF. I know a couple of officers who were destined for higher things and both binned it after around the 10 year mark. Both had already received their degree's courtesy of the Bundeswehr and when they reached their point of service they also qualified for a fully paid for masters degree with spending money too. They now both earn 3 to 4 times as much as civvy's.

As a squaddie rather than a rupert i couldn't think of a better reason not to join up than being liable to mobilisation for years even after discharge. That said, most 18 year old IDF draftees for compulsory 32 month service recruits don't fully comprehend what it means to be called up for 45 days of ops and training until your mid forties. In that way I don't think it will influence people that much. Will the ministry of defence there have to put warnings on its recruiting ads - like on fag packets "joining the army means you can be called to fight and risk your ass for years after you finish your army service"?