Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German MoD: Hitler's good tradition to speak with Russia from a position of strength should remain for the future.

... as many other nations does. In 1982 Argentina did understand only strength, only language of force. Russia is not an exception in this context.

You may see it this way while there is no direct connection. Russia (as many other countries) has to be strong enough just to be competitive on the World stage. It doesn't depend on political regime. Later or sooner Russia (I hope as a result of evolution) will be democratic country but national interests will remain and Russia will have to be strong in any case.

It is exactly the point that I tried to make in this thread.

They are relevant examples and there are many others where Moscow negotiated with a position of strength.
An interesting choice of word: Evolution.
Hope is a wonderful and sustaining sentiment. How do you envisage a transition from the Status Quo in Russia to a state of democracy in practice?
BTW I don't mean just having 'Democratic' in the title, like the DPRK.

An interesting choice of word: Evolution.
Hope is a wonderful and sustaining sentiment. How do you envisage a transition from the Status Quo in Russia to a state of democracy in practice?
BTW I don't mean just having 'Democratic' in the title, like the DPRK.
The transition to true democracy (not democracy only in name) is possible in two ways
1) as a result of revolution or as a result of significant political changes
2) as a result of evolution, as a result of relatively small changes.
Let's recall Korea, Spain, Greece or many Latin American countries as Chile or Argentina. All of them are democratic countries but previously they were just dictatorships. Political changes happened abruptly and consumed only weeks or even days.
But there are other examples. In the UK current form of democracy is a result of centuries long evolution. Let's recall that women (though long ago) had not right to vote. And democracy in the USA is also a result of evolution. Using 21st century standards democracy and slavery can not coexist.
Russia is slowly moving toward democracy but Russian oligarchs support Putin's dictatorship to preserve their in fact stolen property. But this abnormal situation can not last forever.

Really?

Are you allowed to actually say that?

No danger of "Go To Siberia" "Do Not Pass Go" "Do Not Receive 2000 Roubles" ?
The head or Russian corrupted regime mr.Putin has concentrated in his hands power that is quite close to power of tsar. As I understand, you agree with it.

The transition to true democracy (not democracy only in name) is possible in two ways
1) as a result of revolution or as a result of significant political changes
2) as a result of evolution, as a result of relatively small changes.
Let's recall Korea, Spain, Greece or many Latin American countries as Chile or Argentina. All of them are democratic countries but previously they were just dictatorships. Political changes happened abruptly and consumed only weeks or even days.
But there are other examples. In the UK current form of democracy is a result of centuries long evolution. Let's recall that women (though long ago) had not right to vote. And democracy in the USA is also a result of evolution. Using 21st century standards democracy and slavery can not coexist.
Russia is slowly moving toward democracy but Russian oligarchs support Putin's dictatorship to preserve their in fact stolen property. But this abnormal situation can not last forever.
You make some salient points about the other other countries here, but I just don't see how Russia is moving towards democracy even slowly. Political opponents get murdered on the street when the cctv is broken, journalists throw themselves from high balconies on a regular basis. I don't share your optimism and neither do Russian friends.

You make some salient points about the other other countries here, but I just don't see how Russia is moving towards democracy even slowly. Political opponents get murdered on the street when the cctv is broken, journalists throw themselves from high balconies on a regular basis. I don't share your optimism and neither do Russian friends.
Any evolution is not a process with constant speed. There are periods of acceleration and stagnation.
Political system in the US/UK/France is also in a process of development. We see turbulent political processes - riots in the USA, yellow vests in France and there are riots in the UK.
I prefer not to see such type events in Russia.

What do you see in Russia that gives you encouragement? Constitutional change to allow more presidential terms for an incumbent? Oh, hang on.... was that the Communist Dictatorship China? (Also cracking down in Hong Kong) An interesting parallel.
It doesn't seem as though either regime looks ready to loosen its grip on permanent power.

Any evolution is not a process with constant speed. There are periods of acceleration and stagnation.
Political system in the US/UK/France is also in a process of development. We see turbulent political processes - riots in the USA, yellow vests in France and there are riots in the UK.
I prefer not to see such type events in Russia.
Concerned about being a target?

There are many voices on this site who are critical of Russia, but in fairness to Russia, it has things to be envied, like a positively Russian culture and a strong sense of national identity, at least among the Russians I know. I'll wager that more Russians would be willing to fight to defend Mother Russia from an aggressor than 'Residents of Britain' would be in if in the same situation. I certainly wouldn't today, and neither would I advise my offspring to.
On the streets of Moscow, you really could not believe you were anywhere else but Russia. More 'Progressive' countries are rapidly losing their national identities. The Moldovan leader was on Radio 4 talking about her wish to join the EU because that is her people's right, and that she wants the 1500 Russian 'peacekeepers' in her country to leave.
She would join the EU in a belief that she will escape Russian domination and her country will be able to assert itself, yet in 20 years time it will be unrecognisable, just a collection of people from all over the EU who just happen to currently reside within the borders of what was once Moldova if it's in a good point on the prevailing wages : cost of living in a shed with beds cycle.
On balance, if I was Russian I would want to keep Mr P and squeeze the EU until its eyes popped out with massive hikes in gas prices at the beginning of every winter.

Edited for duff spelling and Grammar Nazi wrath avoidance.

Last edited:
There are many voices on this site who are critical of Russia, but in fairness to Russia, it has things to be envied, like a positively Russian culture and a strong sense of national identity, at least among the Russians I know. I'll wager that more Russians would be willing to fight to defend Mother Russia from an aggressor than 'Residents of Britain' would be in if in the same situation. I certainly wouldn't today, and neither would I advise my offspring to.
A daughter of my cousin emigrated to the USA (with her husband) and now lives in Houston. Sometimes I ask myself what if I did emigrate to the USA, the UK, Australia or Canada in turbulent 90's then many including me feared that Russia had no bright future. In this case I would not be just a resident but devoted citizen of my new Motherland. However in any case I would think in Russian. So my soul would remain Russian.
Would I fight to defend Russia? My answer is yes despite many negative features of modern Russia, despite the fact that Russian economy is owned by (frequently not ethnically Russian) oligarchs, despite corrupted nature of the ruling elites.
But ... Rulers come and go, Russia remains Russia.

On the streets of Moscow, you really could not believe you were anywhere else but Russia. More 'Progressive' countries are rapidly losing their national identities.
On many accounts Moscow is remarkable city with 12.6 mln. of permanent residents and millions of legal and illegal migrants. From the first glance it is a new Babylon. However, being asked about their ethnical self identification 91,65% called themself Russians. So Moscow is in fact mono ethnical city and it preserve its 'Russianness' if you understand what I do mean.

The Moldovan leader was on Radio 4 talking about her wish to join the EU because that is her people's right, and that she wants the 1500 Russian 'peacekeepers' in her country to leave.
Moldova is the poorest country in Europe and the EU aspirations have simple explanation. Ms. Marple would say in this case her famous - 'Money'. As for Russian peacekeepers then most of them are locals from separatist entity Transnistria who have also Russian citizenship. It is impossible to withdraw them as they live here.

She would join the EU in a belief that she will escape Russian domination and her country will be able to assert itself, yet in 20 years time it will be unrecognisable, just a collection of people from all over the EU who just happen to currently reside within the borders of what was once Moldova if it's in a good point on the prevailing wages : cost of living in a shed with beds cycle.
Moldova was not and is not an attractive country to reside in. It is a small copy of Romania but more poor. So for the EU Moldova would be just another beggar ... but with Russian troops on the EU territory that would be hardly acceptable.

On balance, if I was Russian I would want to keep Mr P and squeeze the EU until its eyes popped out with massive hikes in gas prices at the beginning of every winter.

Edited for duff spelling and Grammar Nazi wrath avoidance.
I don't support mr.Putin. Russia from my point of view deserves better leader. But indeed many sincerely support mr.Putin.
If I were English then whom would I support? Now probably Boris while he is not ideal leader. Though ideal is something that frequently can not be reached.

Latest Threads