German military in largest Afghan offensive to date

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. German military in largest Afghan offensive to date

Posted : Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:41:44 GMT
    Berlin - The German Bundeswehr (military) was Wednesday deploying heavy weapons including tanks in its largest offensive to date against the Taliban in the northern Afghan province of Kunduz, military officials said. Defence Minister Franz Josef Jung said that the deployment was in response to a deteriorating security situation in the province, where German troops have come increasingly under fire from Taliban forces in recent weeks.
    "We are now being particularly challenged in Kunduz," said Jung at a press conference in Berlin.
    The aim of the offensive is to "stabilize" the region before the Afghan presidential election due to be held at the end of August, Jung said.
    Germany's most senior military officer General Wolfgang Schneiderhan said at the press conference that "now is the time to deal with the escalation."
    More on the link,german-military-in-largest-afghan-offensive-to-date--update.html
  2. Although he was unable to explain why the briefing map stretched as far as Moscow....
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

4. Don't mention the War! :D :wink:
  5. Has anyone noticed the two new chimmneys to the north of Bastion?
  6. Story about the Bundeswehr merely deploying in Kosovo....put the frighteners on the Serbs apparently!
  7. Not surprised. The two biggest sellers in the Bundeswehr shop at Camp Film City last Christmas were furry handcuffs and plastic British bobby's helmets.
  8. It's ok they have signed a non aggresion pact with Broon. So we'll be fine and dandy.
  9. Was listening to the local german radio news last night and they were going on about it. Should be interesting how far they go. No, I mean mission wise; not global wise :D
  10. Good luck to them.
  11. And when they have sorted the Afghans will they please go all SeeLion and sort this mess out?
  12. I assume their bierkeller came under fire, can't be having that!! Look what happened when Hitler used to meet in the beer halls - and they think English football hooligans are trouble !!
  13. "deploying heavy weapons including tanks"

DEU has tanks in Afghanistan ? I don't think so....unless they've arrived recently but I somehow can't see the DEU public allowing for the deployment of a couple of Leo II troops without it making world news...
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Apparently, someone fired an RPG rocket into their leibensraum during a sing-song, causing the place to gas up a bit, so they've switched from mincing ops to full-on goose-stepping.

It's all going to end in Kiev you know.
  15. Suspect the media is referring to the likes of Marder, not MBT, although other nations have deployed MBT to Afghanistan.