German Mess toast

We've an up coming Mess function and in attendance are German army WOs, as a gesture we are going to toast someone appropriate to them (as well as the Gurkha's involved), but who would this be?

post 1945 would be great...

Did you ask some of the Germans and Gurkha's?

Alsacien

MIA
We've an up coming Mess function and in attendance are German army WOs, as a gesture we are going to toast someone appropriate to them (as well as the Gurkha's involved), but who would this be?

post 1945 would be great...
"To the Bundesrepublik Deutschland" and/or "to the freedom of the German people" might be more PC....

I'd leave Bundespräsident Wulf out of it, he's currently on his arse for corruption.

If you look for a modern German politician untarnished by corruption claims, there's only one candidate, ex chancellor Helmut Schmidt. His stepping up to the plate and handling of the Hamburg floods as a lowly senator was an object lesson in crisis management, he didn't **** about and trampled the usual red tape and protocol to save lives. The current shower of shit, Merkin etc. have done the Bundeswehr no favours.

I'd certainly look at their regiments history pre 1934, if they have one. There are often links to the Anglo-Hannoverian army, shared battle honours etc.

'We have one uniting feature, we have beaten each other at our national sports.'

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd leave Bundespräsident Wulf out of it, he's currently on his arse for corruption.

If you look for a modern German politician untarnished by corruption claims, there's only one candidate, ex chancellor Helmut Schmidt. His stepping up to the plate and handling of the Hamburg floods as a lowly senator was an object lesson in crisis management, he didn't **** about and trampled the usual red tape and protocol to save lives. The current shower of shit, Merkin etc. have done the Bundeswehr no favours.

I'd certainly look at their regiments history pre 1934, if they have one. There are often links to the Anglo-Hannoverian army, shared battle honours etc.
"Hoch der Kaiser" should fit that bill. You can always claim you meant Beckenbauer if eyebrows rise above safe levels.

Go safe and toast the Chancellor of Germany. In 1979 I was asked as Mr Vice to propose a toast to the Leader of the Federal German republic and got the wrong bloke, so do check Angela is still in!

Surely the most apt would be von Clausewitz?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Heil Hitler, surely?

or .. "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer!"

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
You'd be pretty safe with Otto Bismarck who invented modern Germany and for his time, was an enlightened social reformer and still much loved. If you really wish to lick box bottoms and have them buying you schnapps all nicht, go for Von Blucher "without whom gentlemen, we might all now be speaking French". Cobblers of course, but they'll love it.

Convention is that one toasts the Chancellor of Germany - in the same way that we drink the loyal toast. As for Nepal..... given the decimation of the nepalese royal family, the recent democatisation measures and subsequent "republicanisation" of Nepal, perhaps you might want to play safe and toast "the bravest of the brave" as the Gurkhas have been called.

Der Deutsche Demokratische Republik - didn't some wag do this once when the head of the pre-1990 Bundeswehr was being entertained at a dining-in night in the 1980s? Anyway, with the current penchant for Ostalgie, it would probably go down quite well ;-)

Heres a couple
Artillery:
German - Kanonendonner is unser Gruss!
English - Cannon thunder is our greeting!
Engineer/Pioneer:
German - Brueder stosst die Glaeser an, hoch lebe der Reservemann!
English - Brothers bring those glasses on, highly live the Reserve man!
Infantry:
German - Dauerfeuer ist unser Gruss!
English - Constant fire is our greeting!
Navy:
German - Wert trev gedient hat seine Zeit, dem sei ein voller Krug gewith!
English - He who has served his time, has a mug that is fuller!
Calvary:
German - Stolz zu Ross die Kavallerie, auf dem posten spat und frueh!
English - Proudly rides the cavalry, guarding from morning to night!
More sort of mottos I suppose though.