German Jews warned against wearing the kippah in public.

History perhaps repeating itself in Germany where the Government has warned that Jews may not be safe if they go out in public in their religious garments.

Antisemitic crimes rose by 20% in Germany last year, according to interior ministry data which blamed nine out of ten cases on the extreme right.

"The arrival in parliament of the far-right AfD, whose leaders openly question Germany’s culture of atonement for second world war atrocities, has also contributed to the change in atmosphere, as has the arrival of more than a million asylum seekers, many from Muslim countries such as Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq."

Interesting to note that omitted from the Guardian's article is the fact that Germany regards islamist inspired hatred as far right, as the Jerusalem Post explains, whereas in Britain we tend to regard islamism as other than far-right - although they share many commonalities.

ugly

LE
Interesting to note that omitted from the Guardian's article is the fact that Germany regards islamist inspired hatred as far right, as the Jerusalem Post explains, whereas in Britain we tend to regard islamism as other than far-right - although they share many commonalities.
The sensible non PC view is that Fascists and anti fascists are both extremist takes on the same view.

History perhaps repeating itself in Germany where the Government has warned that Jews may not be safe if they go out in public in their religious garments.

Antisemitic crimes rose by 20% in Germany last year, according to interior ministry data which blamed nine out of ten cases on the extreme right.

"The arrival in parliament of the far-right AfD, whose leaders openly question Germany’s culture of atonement for second world war atrocities, has also contributed to the change in atmosphere, as has the arrival of more than a million asylum seekers, many from Muslim countries such as Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq."

Perhaps they should also issue a warning to Christians, agnostics, and atheists, about going out dressed in western-style clothes - a much greater risk.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
German Jews warned against wearing the kippah in public
I wonder if the sub-headline is 'Corbyn confims Bavaria holiday plans'?

This is a rather neat move by the Left, create fear and encourage behaviour that might make the Jewish population of Germany want to leave and blame the Right if/when they do leave.

Cresida Dick must be kicking herself for not coming up with that wheeze. Islamist attacks = XRW attacks, vote common purpose folks. Perhaps she can still steal a march and get black on black knife crime reclassified as 'suspected kitchen related health and safety breaches'

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose it's a sensible enough warning, given the circumstances. I still think it's a real shame that they have to proclaim it and those of Jewish faith can't be walking around with their silly hats without fearing attack from some mindless moron(s).

On the other hand, what about the ultra-orthodox Jews with their Hoss Cartwright titfers and dreadlocks? Surely that's even more of a giveaway.

MsG

The sensible non PC view is that Fascists and anti fascists are both extremist takes on the same view.
but are all fascists/anti fascists necessarily racist?

Exactly. But it, according to some, has everything to do with an influx of 'laundry' engineers, witch doctors, and scientists involved in the manufacture, sale and distribution of certain chemicals. It's in their genes innit.

And your evidence to support your snide closet racist comment is...?

Oh; you don't have any.
You might want to start by looking at where Jewish people in Germany think the increased threat is from. What with them being on the receiving end of it.

This is a rather neat move by the Left, create fear and encourage behaviour that might make the Jewish population of Germany want to leave and blame the Right if/when they do leave.
Anti semitism, racism and German attitudes to whomever is perceived as "auslander" are complex subjects - reducing it all to a question of left/right can't really help.

I'm surprised that there are so many Jews in Germany - 119,000 in 2011. Almost 4 times what it was in 1990.

Anti semitism, racism and German attitudes to whomever is perceived as "auslander" are complex subjects - reducing it all to a question of left/right can't really help.

The German attitude to "Auslanders" was prevalent when I was there 40 years ago, and had been since WW2. The boxheads have a massive chip on their shoulder about the war, more so with the new generation who seem to latch on to the neo-Nazi ideology. 11 years ago I visited southern Bavaria, my old stomping ground, and being a red sea pedestrian, ( Non practising) I was not well received at some watering holes. Its nothing new, and it wont go away any day soon. Its hard wired from birth, its inbred in some sections of their society, as hatred of plod is over here, passed on from one generation to the next, all you can do is identify it, and steer clear. Legislation will have no effect at all, it will just go underground. The world is full of prats with skewered views,............... aint religion a wonderful thing!