German invasion of Wales - Film debut

Well after the German invasion of Gibralter then why not Wales ???

Like General Tate's french revolutionary landings at Fishguard in 1797
an invasion of Wales is not beyond the realm's of possibility. :idea:
Besides it gives the many members of the forum who have delved into
the What ifs of history ( Everything from the Auxiliary Units to NATO's
Stay Behind Army of the Cold War ) another conundrum to chew over.

Fortunately a new film will be making its cinema debut later this month
which I'm sure will meet with your critical aclaim, called Resistance
it delves into the British resistance units efforts around Abergavenny.
Of course it begs the question, just whats so special about Abergavenny
during the Second World War ???

Resistance by Owen Sheers

Resistance Official film trailer

Well, the USMC used members of a savage and primitive tribe speaking a virtually unknown language as secure radio operators in the Pacific. I've often wondered why the British Army never went sent recruiting teams to places like Abergavenny with brass trinkets to lure in some of the least unintelligent natives for the same job.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, the USMC used members of a savage and primitive tribe speaking a virtually unknown language as secure radio operators in the Pacific. I've often wondered why the British Army never went sent recruiting teams to places like Abergavenny with brass trinkets to lure in some of the least unintelligent natives for the same job.
Didn't one of the Welsh units in Bosnia speak only Welsh on the radio as part of a security measure?

Didn't one of the Welsh units in Bosnia speak only Welsh on the radio as part of a security measure?
Slightly off topic, but I read that during WW2 the Japanese radio-intercept guys had cracked the British codes. They were foiled when the British officers used their schoolboy French on the net, baffling even fluent French speakers on the Jap staff.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
A bit like in the film 'Windtalkers'?

Even the bods at Bletchley would probably struggle. Look you.
Google is your freind boyo.

Wiki said:
Secure communications are often difficult to achieve in wartime. Cryptography can be used to protect messages, but codes can be broken. Therefore, little-known languages are sometimes encoded, so that even if the code is broken, the message is still in a language few people know. For example, Navajo code talkers were used by the United States military during World War II. Similarly, the Royal Welch Fusiliers, a Welsh regiment serving in Bosnia, used Welsh for emergency communications that needed to be secure.

Many a true word, etc. I read a book years ago by Ken Cooper about his time as a platoon commander in Burma and IIRC there was a reference to Welsh radio operators, something along the lines of "The Japs won't understand that heathen lingo". Slightly off topic, what's the difference between "a WelSh regiment" and "the WelCh Regiment"?

Many a true word, etc. I read a book years ago by Ken Cooper about his time as a platoon commander in Burma and IIRC there was a reference to Welsh radio operators, something along the lines of "The Japs won't understand that heathen lingo". Slightly off topic, what's the difference between "a WelSh regiment" and "the WelCh Regiment"?
a dyslexic aussie!!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I read a Training Manual - I mean Commando comic - as a nipper, must therefore be close to 45 years ago, which taught how in Burma all British wireless operators were east-end cockernees gor blimey up the apples and pears for just this reason. Obviously the cockernee language was a mystery to us Mackems who only spoke and understood the Queen's English.

Well it is the archaic spelling of Welsh but the verb has a totally different meaning. :)

cheat, rip off, chisel - deprive somebody of something by deceit.

I read a Training Manual - I mean Commando comic - as a nipper, must therefore be close to 45 years ago, which taught how in Burma all British wireless operators were east-end cockernees gor blimey up the apples and pears for just this reason. Obviously the cockernee language was a mystery to us Mackems who only spoke and understood the Queen's English.
Remember a conversation in a CP in Germany between my OP party boss and the OC of the tankies to whom we were attached as to who would be the most effective on the radio in terms of mutual intelligibility/unintelligibility, their Scouses or the tame Geordies (of which I was one) in our Yorkshire-raised lot.
Queen's English. Whey aye.

Personally for unbreakable I would use exclusively Glaswegians, no bugger could ever hope to understand that.

The novel is ok, but watching the trailer I see that T-54/55s were used by the Wehrmacht in 1944. 'It Happened Here' (1966) found a good mock-up Panzer back in the 60's, and that's a much better film, in my opinion.

As long as there's been Radio's Welsh speakers have been using The Language of Heaven, I know for a fact it was used in Burma just shouting out commands between trenches for QBO's or whatever they are now.
Welsh speakers tend to find themselves as signallers in Welsh Regiments . As for Jerry invading Wales, Hitler was shown a picture and had it planned out what his Summer house was going to be in Wales, Plas Tan y Bwlch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

What a shame they never invaded, we could have captured them and made them cook us bratwurst mit pomme frites or currywurst. Bit sucked off with Welsh rarebit. Maybe even allowed them to have a micro brewery on the POW camp. That way they would be happy and too pissed to tunnel out and we could have some decent beer.

What a shame they never invaded, we could have captured them and made them cook us bratwurst mit pomme frites or currywurst. Bit sucked off with Welsh rarebit. Maybe even allowed them to have a micro brewery on the POW camp. That way they would be happy and too pissed to tunnel out and we could have some decent beer.
At least they wouldn't have pissed and moaned at the locals hating the English.