German invasion of Wales - Film debut

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Corpraider, Nov 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well after the German invasion of Gibralter then why not Wales ???

Like General Tate's french revolutionary landings at Fishguard in 1797
    an invasion of Wales is not beyond the realm's of possibility. :idea:
    Besides it gives the many members of the forum who have delved into
    the What ifs of history ( Everything from the Auxiliary Units to NATO's
    Stay Behind Army of the Cold War ) another conundrum to chew over.

Fortunately a new film will be making its cinema debut later this month
    which I'm sure will meet with your critical aclaim, called Resistance
    it delves into the British resistance units efforts around Abergavenny.
    Of course it begs the question, just whats so special about Abergavenny
    during the Second World War ???

Resistance by Owen Sheers

Resistance Official film trailer

2. Well, the USMC used members of a savage and primitive tribe speaking a virtually unknown language as secure radio operators in the Pacific. I've often wondered why the British Army never went sent recruiting teams to places like Abergavenny with brass trinkets to lure in some of the least unintelligent natives for the same job.

• Like Like x 3
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Didn't one of the Welsh units in Bosnia speak only Welsh on the radio as part of a security measure?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Slightly off topic, but I read that during WW2 the Japanese radio-intercept guys had cracked the British codes. They were foiled when the British officers used their schoolboy French on the net, baffling even fluent French speakers on the Jap staff.

• Like Like x 3
  5. A bit like in the film 'Windtalkers'?

Even the bods at Bletchley would probably struggle. Look you.

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Google is your freind boyo.

7. Many a true word, etc. I read a book years ago by Ken Cooper about his time as a platoon commander in Burma and IIRC there was a reference to Welsh radio operators, something along the lines of "The Japs won't understand that heathen lingo". Slightly off topic, what's the difference between "a WelSh regiment" and "the WelCh Regiment"?

8. a dyslexic aussie!!

9. Dnot ceom teh rwa prwan wthi me ya pmomei bsatrad.

10. I still lie awake at wondering if there really is a dog.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I read a Training Manual - I mean Commando comic - as a nipper, must therefore be close to 45 years ago, which taught how in Burma all British wireless operators were east-end cockernees gor blimey up the apples and pears for just this reason. Obviously the cockernee language was a mystery to us Mackems who only spoke and understood the Queen's English.

12. They have larger chests in the Welch regiment ;)

13. Well it is the archaic spelling of Welsh but the verb has a totally different meaning. :)

cheat, rip off, chisel - deprive somebody of something by deceit.

14. Remember a conversation in a CP in Germany between my OP party boss and the OC of the tankies to whom we were attached as to who would be the most effective on the radio in terms of mutual intelligibility/unintelligibility, their Scouses or the tame Geordies (of which I was one) in our Yorkshire-raised lot.
    Queen's English. Whey aye.

Personally for unbreakable I would use exclusively Glaswegians, no bugger could ever hope to understand that.

15. Elements of 53 (Welsh) Div used Welsh for secure comms in NW Europe 1944-45.