Builds German Infantry Battle for France 1/35th scale Diorama.

Evening, just about to start on the Vickers, do you guys wash the kits in warm soapy water before priming?
Ta!
I wouldn't, I've never had a problem but you might break a small fragile part if you do, I would get a can of Halfords primer, but have a few practice sweeps on an old toy, or something else to get the distribution right, you don't want runs, destroying your hard work.

I missed this one. I was going to say ‘is it finished’ as you started on Saturday then I jumped to page three and I see you are just about fished.

it’s a few minutes since you posted, so...... is it finished now?
nearly, here it is finally assembled, in grey Halfords primer on the exterior.
assembly completed a.jpg

still wet, First light coat of Semtex green by Lifecolour, This will make a nice base colour for the French Camouflage, but not yet, I'm setting this aside to dry for a few days and I'm getting on with something else. When The Germans arrive, I'll figure out the groundwork, I envisage a tarmac road and roadside ditch. But till then it will rest in my tank park.
coat of wet green c.jpg

coat of wet green.jpg

coat of wet green d.jpg

Evening, just about to start on the Vickers, do you guys wash the kits in warm soapy water before priming?
Ta!
another point with regard to primer paint worth mentioning Rob, spray sub assemblies rather than un assembled parts, it's easy to scrap a bare patch on the hull through the primer to fit a sprayed and assembled bogie, the glue doesn't stick well over or through the primer, it does on occasion, but its best to scrape the primer clear and glue plastic to plastic.

another point with regard to primer paint worth mentioning Rob, spray sub assemblies rather than un assembled parts, it's easy to scrap a bare patch on the hull through the primer to fit a sprayed and assembled bogie, the glue doesn't stick well over or through the primer, it does on occasion, but its best to scrape the primer clear and glue plastic to plastic.
Ta for that, I find it strange to prime models nobody did it years ago.

Ta for that, I find it strange to prime models nobody did it years ago.
standards have gone up 100%, modern acrylics are terrible if painted onto a bare plastic surface, even enamels go on a prepared surface far better, and if you are doing multi media, the primer allows the paint to take evenly on all the different materials like PE or resin. Your ole Dad would have loved Halfords Grey Primer, all the home made stuff he did.

Talking of Halfords grey, Home Base also do a grey primer a lot cheaper.
yes I've tried that, it's good if you have a lot of spraying to do in a few days, if like me, you want a quality can to stand on the shelf in the garage and be as good six weeks later in small spurts here and there, every now and again, the epitomy of model makers, then paying the extra for the Halfords one is good economy, the cheaper one's tend to block up, and you only find this out right when you want to use it.

yes I've tried that, it's good if you have a lot of spraying to do in a few days, if like me, you want a quality can to stand on the shelf in the garage and be as good six weeks later in small spurts here and there, every now and again, the epitomy of model makers, then paying the extra for the Halfords one is good economy, the cheaper one's tend to block up, and you only find this out right when you want to use it.
Find out tomorrow, I’ve got a part used can in the shed. But I do tend to wash out the nozzles on spray cans after using.

back in with this, it's been set aside awaiting it's camouflage colours over the base dark green. That will happen soon, but for now I'm constructing the German Infantry figures passing the abandoned tank.
art box top.jpg

the first two assembled and ready for primer. After some filler for the shoulder gap.
german with shoulder gap.jpg

How to repressurise cans that still have paint in:

the officer figure assembled, he is imaginatively posed rising up on tip toe, I can use that, positioning him peering over the R35.
officer constructed.jpg

the final figure is the marksman with his telescopic sight, show on the box art but shown as a normal rifleman with of all things a Stick Grenade down his jackboot. I've seen pictures of this, but always thought it the imaginative work of their KP photographers.
last man assembled artwork.jpg

here's the figure, minus his Grenade.
last man assembled.jpg

Boxy

GCM
the final figure is the marksman with his telescopic sight, show on the box art but shown as a normal rifleman with of all things a Stick Grenade down his jackboot. I've seen pictures of this, but always thought it the imaginative work of their KP photographers.
View attachment 556182
here's the figure, minus his Grenade.
View attachment 556183
It seems a fairly sensible place until trying to run with it I imagine

first tones added, figures are quite time consuming and require intense concentration, my weakest area, that I want to make my strongest, given time.
base colours and first tones.jpg

the faces have the dark base colours, once they dry some lighter tones.
bcu face tones b.jpg

enlarging the image like this shows up so much, collar and shoulder tabs, chip out of the side of the helmet. Shoulder gaps.

with the French R35 tank still in it's base dark green it's time to make some card masks to spray the second camouflage colour.
camo masks.jpg

I've got a new airbrush to try, I'm champing at the bit to get it into action and to see how it performs.
pistol grip iwata.jpg

so far so good, the trigger and pistol grip prooved to be a good configuration, easy to fine control.
camouflage applied b.jpg

oh look at that, missed that burr on the towing shackle.
rear hatches open.jpg

with the decals on, it now needs a fine weathering coat to lessen the new bright decals.
try out b.jpg

this is just a trial fit to see if the figures look realistic in their positional relationship to one another.
try out c.jpg

moving though the French countryside, using the abandoned R35 for cover
try out a.jpg

Latest Threads