German Hard Bastard Dies.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Miner, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bert Trautmann who played 17 minutes of Manchester City's 1956 FA Cup final win with a broken neck has died.

He served on the Eastern Front for three years during WWII as a Fallschirmjager, gaining 5 medals including the Iron Cross. After becoming a POW on the Western Front, he was imprisoned in a camp in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Lancashire. He refused repatriation after the war and went on to play over 500 times in goal for Manchester City.

Story

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I've never come across anything about Trautmann that was anything other than greatly to his credit. There was a fantastic programme about him and the hostility he faced when he first played for Man City - his personality and ability brought them round in the end.

• Like Like x 3
  3. They don't breed many like him any more.....

4. Signallers

Signallers Book Reviewer

Waltenkommando?

5. Thankfully, else we'd have to rescue the French again!

• Like Like x 9
  6. Deep respect RIP

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Bummer. I'm going to have to get round to reading this now:

CIMG2231.JPG

RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. He was one of my childhood heroes. What a wonderful guy and may he rest in peace

• Like Like x 1
  9. RIP to a true footballing gent.
    Perhaps today's stars could learn something!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Very well thought of in St.Helens where he played before Man city.

11. A genuine footballing legend. One minute's silence at a football groundthat I would happily respect.

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I recall watching the 1956 FA cup final when he broke his neck. He wasn't diagnosed until days later. He did say that he couldn't remember any of the game after the incident and played on auto pilot.
    Genuinely nic bloke.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. There was a short report with a short B&W film clip of the broken neck incident on German TV tonight. Ordinarily football would not interest me, however this bloke sounds like he was exceptional by any mans standards.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shame to read this .

When people under 30 use the word Legend, direct them to this mans biography.

RIP

Superbia In Proelio

• Like Like x 1
  15. Documentary On Yesterday NOW - 20:00-21:00 BST Friday

Seen it before, lots of interesting clips, one of the higher quality docs ISTR