German Gravestone

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Jun 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Ladies & Gents,

Can anyone here decipher the middle line on this German gravestone from WWI? I'm assuming that it's his unit designation. He was the lone German (that we found) at the Commonwealth cemetery in Pozieres and would be interested to know more about him.

DSC_4860.jpg

2. Hi,

Delurking from RP. Have you already looked on Ancestry? I have just found him on a casualty list from September 1916, but there do not seem to be any other records on there. I have saved the image as a PDF, let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Tootsie Le Coq

3. 5th battalion/company 84th jaeger regt at a guess.

4. thought that Jaeger were in Batallion not regiments.
    Though I suppose it could be Reserve Jaeger?

5. daz

daz LE

RJ would denote a Reserve Light Infantry Battalion ??

Closet I could find to a match would be Infanterie-Regiment von Stülpnagel (5. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 48 part of the 9.Infanterie-Brigade: 5th Division

6. The best I can offer is that h seems to have been an "Ersatz Reservist" i.e. battlefield replacement, mustered with the 84te Kompanie, 5te Reserve Jäger Batallion in Görlitz.

7. What is being read as a 'J', could well be an 'I'. This is old script and sometimes these letters are hard to work out.

8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Small bit of research says that the German IX counterattacked in the area on the 25th and one of the regiments in the corps was the 84th (Schleswig)

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for that! By the way, how did you determine that he was an Ersatz Reservist? Was the 5 J/R a battalion for such replacements?

10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

That crossed my mind, too. Would still make it Reserve Infantry Regt, I think.

11. but then the 'I' in Louis is clearly an I and not similar to a J.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Looks like you could be right - this page Weltkriegsopfer.de | Kriegstote/r: Louis Kopp gives his unit as 5. R. I. 84 and calls him Ersatz-Reservist (see Cernunnos' post #7)

• Like Like x 2
  13. I meant more as capitals and it wouldn't be the first time an engraver has mixed scrip-types.

14. The R at the front is always for reserve units. Infanterie Regimenter I.R and Reserve Infanterie Regimenter R.I.R.

R.J would fit a Reserve Jaeger Batallion. The was never an 84th Jaeger Bn, but there was a 5th and German "Kompanien" were often numbered as independant units, like our artillery.

If it was the 84th infantery regiment it would be listed as "84te Infanterie Regiment (Von Manstein)" & "84.I.R" for short. The Germans use precedence in their numbering, you often see lists with Div/Bde/Regiment or Bn in that order.

The 5te Reserve Jaeger Bn was raised in Goerlitz under the wing the 19th Infanterie Regiment who's Garrison it was. In 1916 the 19th were on the western front at Verdun and thereabouts, up to their usual dirty tricks, our falling plate style reservist may well have been one of their bolt-ons.

• Like Like x 3