German government to issue medal to all BAOR /Nato

Heard that the German government are going to issue a Medal to all allied Forces that served in Germany before 1989.To qualify you had to have served at least two years on German soil with Nato forces. - about time too !!!!!!!!!!!!

Scnellimbiss said:
Heard that the German government are going to issue a Medal to all allied Forces that served in Germany before 1989.To qualify you had to have served at least two years on German soil with Nato forces. - about time too !!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did you hear that?

The BAOR Medal comes under a group of medals classed as "Commemorative Medals" which are not approved by H.M. Government but Veterans can buy!
I have seen these worn on the medal bar or below it as a second set!

http://www.cjmedals.co.uk/military_medals.html

Bit Waltish to me! as no check is made as to entitlement....

Scnellimbiss said:
Rumour control - overheard someone in my local British Legion talking - I will write to the German Embassy in London and see what they say.
I saw this advertisement in SAGA Magazine July 04

DID YOU SERVE IN GERMANY 1945-1989?

Do you know about the commemorative medal for British Forces Germany? This medal has been commissioned by the Royal British Legion Industries who benefit from the sale.

Application form and details of this medal (costs approx £32.50) Web site WWW.awardmedals.com

Perhaps that is what they were talking about?

Rumrunner said:
Scnellimbiss said:
Rumour control - overheard someone in my local British Legion talking - I will write to the German Embassy in London and see what they say.
I saw this advertisement in SAGA Magazine July 04

DID YOU SERVE IN GERMANY 1945-1989?

Do you know about the commemorative medal for British Forces Germany? This medal has been commissioned by the Royal British Legion Industries who benefit from the sale.

Application form and details of this medal (costs approx £32.50) Web site WWW.awardmedals.com

Perhaps that is what they were talking about?
You admit to reading SAGA Magazine?

Yes that is the same idea as the "Commemorative Medals" I wrote about!

From www.awardmedals.com

A word about commemorative medals.

Can you wear commemorative or foreign medals?

The directive from the Ministry of Defence in the U.K. is that: - they may not be worn alongside official awards & decorations or on official uniforms.

Each country and many associations have their own rules and therefore we can only give general guidelines and advice. Most people this applies to are now civilians, so in our opinion we feel, that within reason, there should be an allowance for personal preference.

In the past these medals were usually worn on the right breast, but in the U.K. it has now become customary for them to be worn on the line below official issues, and medals of next of kin worn on the right breast.

Mike_2817 said:
The BAOR Medal comes under a group of medals classed as "Commemorative Medals" which are not approved by H.M. Government but Veterans can buy!
I have seen these worn on the medal bar or below it as a second set!

http://www.cjmedals.co.uk/military_medals.html

Bit Waltish to me! as no check is made as to entitlement....
Fcuk it, I'll stick with the bockwurst.

If it aint issued, it aint worth didly squat! OK, maybe a donation to whoever, but wear it and you wont need me to tell how you how you'll feel! I have a BAOR commemorative medal and I can't wear it, it just doesn't feel right! I now have it hanging in my den. My issued gongs are priceless! Each to their own. I jump into my trench and await the counter battery fire! :wink:

banjotrooper said:
If it aint issued, it aint worth didly squat! OK, maybe a donation to whoever, but wear it and you wont need me to tell how you how you'll feel! I have a BAOR commemorative medal and I can't wear it, it just doesn't feel right! I now have it hanging in my den. My issued gongs are priceless! Each to their own. I jump into my trench and await the counter battery fire! :wink:
I agree mate, Whats the point of having a tin gong for living on cheap fags, cars, booze and having probably the best time of our young lives. utter shat and not worth a ration card and 200 B and H. Next you'll be able to get a ribbion for it If you spent more than 10 mins in the que for the bratty stand or really understood what the feck mergastrawer was :p

do not need a medal to remind me of those days......................................... i have a german beer belly that i have to endure every day that remains intact & reminds me every day of what went on during those days. :D :D :D :D

Cpl_ripper said:
banjotrooper said:
I agree mate, Whats the point of having a tin gong for living on cheap fags, cars, booze and having probably the best time of our young lives. utter shat and not worth a ration card and 200 B and H. Next you'll be able to get a ribbion for it If you spent more than 10 mins in the que for the bratty stand or really understood what the feck mergastrawer was :p
[Spotter mode on] Mehrwertsteuer = Value Added Tax [Spotter mode off]

Can I have a medal now?

Cpl_ripper said:
Next you'll be able to get a ribbion for it If you spent more than 10 mins in the que for the bratty stand or really understood what the feck mergastrawer was :p
Mit Mayo or without VAT?

British Forces Germany Commemorative Medal 1945 - 1989

A souvenir, like the 'Queens Silver Jubilee' and the 'Charles and Diana' Wedding Coins.
Nice to have, but keep tucked away!

"Mehrgaztrauer"

The sadness caused by too much flatulence, e.g. after ten litres of Dortmunder "Krazy K", five large korns, three brattis, a gryo and pommes mit mayo?

Hors de Combat Medal - In the Line of Duty :- Eligibility

Available to all uniformed personnel of First and Second World Wars and all former or presently serving uniformed servicemen and women plus those in the service sector such as police, fire service, Ambulance, NHS staff, Dentists, Social workers, Prison officers, Dog Poo wardens, Bin men, Tesco staff, That bloke with the funny twitch from the paper shop, Hairdressers, Teachers etc. whom sustained wounds or injury like a Cut finger, or tripped over a pencil or other writing implement in the line of duty.

This is not available to walts

For those of us who no longer wear a uniform.

Does it come in the clip on AND pierced nipple variety?

I reckon if you worn these you would be a twat however they would make a nice momento, framed and hanging on the toilet wall. The British Army of the Rhine was a bit of history and loads of us were a part of that history so as a momento no probs. Just don't be a walt with them.

Latest Threads