German firearms law - English translation

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Alsacien, Jan 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

  2. 122k might be too big for babelfish, but have you considered breaking it down into smaller chunks?
  3. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    Yeah, but its .pdf 122k (54 pages), if I convert to Word it gets bigger, copy pdf text and I lose the format which would take as long to sort as the translation.
    Some septics must have done this, but I am still googling to find something...
  4. There used to be a liason officer with the Deuche Jagdverband in Rheindahlen who could help. I would not want to rely on a Bablefish translation of legal stuff, particularly firearms regs, particularly in Germany. You need to talk to someone who knows...

    I know in the days of BAOR that UK forces could get a Jagdschein through the British forces shooting association. You could sit all the exams etc in English. I suspect that this stems from the fact that it was the Brits who set up the German hunting system after the War...

    I never hunted in Germany, so never bothered to get a Jagdschein, however I did have a Waffenbezitscarte which allowed me to take myshotguns to the clay range. All you did was turn up to the local Politzi Amt and flash your MOD 90...
  5. Royalmile seems to have come up with a good suggestion there. I know for a fact that a translation of the Waffengesetz exists because I did it myself for the Brandenburg State Ministry of Agriculture in 1992. However, I no longer have a copy of it and the folks there don't seem to be able to find it.

    At the moment I'm waiting for a call back from the folks at the Deutsche Waffen Journal, who might know where to find a copy. I'll keep you posted.
  6. edit as above

    Tel Civ: 05221 82351

    Fax Civ: 05221 9953796


    Tony D - great bloke Ex R Anglian.
  7. Alsacien

    Alsacien LE Moderator

    Thanks Bugsy, appreciated - if no joy I will mail this Tony chap in Herford.
  8. If your aim is to get a Jagdschein or a Waffenbsitzkarte, try contacting the BASC. They're very helpful and already have translations of some of the standard documents, eg: a note in respect of the Deer Stalking Certificate qualifications.

    I have a Jagdschein but no Waffenbesitzkarte. I have a UK firearms certificate and got a European Firearms Pass as well which the German plod are happy with.

    In short, if you already have a UK licence, you probably don't need a German one but if you want to shoot game (rather than targets or clays) you will need a Jagdschein.
  9. PM me your email and I can give all the details as I still hold a Jagdschein and WBK despite being back in UK for nearly a year.