German election 2017 - will it make any difference?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dark_Nit, Sep 24, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Martin Schulz's preferred option is a minority government, is it not? Otherwise, AfD become the official opposition.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Correct, although he has previously stated that he is not against new elections, but he's coming under pressure to form a coalition. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the SPD membership vote, the Jung Sozialisten prefer to stay in opposition, but they may not be the majority.
    Sit and wait.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. And that was a mistake...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

A prospect that will cause brown stains to appear on underpants in Brussels. Making them the official opposition would give further legitimacy to the party.

And even without becoming the official opposition, they're set to exert a significant influence on German politics: all future policies by the established parties will be framed with half an eye on the AfD vote and how those policies will affect the level of that vote.

Expect German politics to be a tad more euroskeptic in the future.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 3
  5. In other words, the average man on the street?

6. I prefer Pot Walloper as at least the voters contributed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I don't think so. Martin Schulz was the President of the European Parliament, you don't get any more pro EU than that. Angie has often enough said that she sees Germanys future firmly anchored in the EU, as a major player of course. The other leading lights in both parties are all Europhilic, the one well known and very vocal critic is Gregor Gysi of the Linke party, but that party has little influence on national politics. Add to that the fact that most Germans are either quite happy with the EU or at worst somewhat NFI, then eurosceptism probably won't even make it to the starting blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wordsmith

It seems to given AfD a significant number of seats...

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  9. That wasn't eurosceptism, it was a mixture of things eg refugees, tired of Merkel. The fact is that Germany has done quite well out of the EU as it has given Germany a rather large market for its products and attracted qualified workers from large parts of the EU.

10. Wordsmith

Where else did the refugees come from apart from a lack of internal borders within the EU?

I know its not as black/white as I put in my original post, but AfD is a euroskeptic party, even if that might not be the reason for all of their support.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thankfully, the "average man" here has at least an "Realschulabschluss" and is trained in a job. So no, he mostly falls not under the group i had in mind...