German election 2017 - will it make any difference?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dark_Nit, Sep 24, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's how it's looked for the past few days. Martin Schulzs stance was initially very firm against the GroKo, but following Frank Walther Steinmeiers formal invite to a "chat" minus coffee to the chairmen of the leading parties, it has become noticeable that Schulzs manner has changed and he doesn't look a happy Teddy any more. Meanwhile more of the SPD have been calling for a re-think on the GroKo. It is really the only practical solution. New elections with Schulz and Merkel as Bundeskanzler candidates would change nothing and a minority government would be very tricky.

2. Schulz has said that he would put any proposal for a GroKo to the party membership, thus freeing his conscience: What a chicken!

Of course, as I pointed out in a previous post, a GroKo would make the AfD the official opposition. This brings with it a lot of privileges such as getting to set some of the parliamentary agenda, control of the Bundestag budget committee, guaranteed contribution to debates and access to the publicly owned media. This, I suspect, is why Schulz didn't want to have the Grand Coalition in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. On the midday news and talk shows I noticed that journos are now talking of a GroKö, ie a small large coalition. Opinions are still wide and varied among journos and politicians alike.
    One interesting viewers comment, went something like "why hasn't anyone asked Merkel why nobody wants a coalition with her?" Interesting point, but I doubt that the answer would be simple.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. IIRC, 1955.

5. 1931.
    In 1955 Macmillan almost made it but on 49.7% of the vote.

6. Eden* was ahead of both Attlee and Clement Davies (Liberals), who between them had 49.1% of the vote. The balance of the votes i.e. 1.2% went to minor parties and independents.

*Eden resigned the premiership in 1956 after the debacle of Suez...

7. Apologies, Eden.

8. In 1931 Stanley Baldwin got 55% of the vote.

9. Indeed he did; but 1955 is generally held to be the last time that anyone got an absolute majority of the voting share because the franchise reflects what we have now (the franchise in 1931 was quite different).

10. Was it? Who couldn't vote that can now?

11. The under 21s - the voting age was lowered in 1969-70.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. As a university graduate, I would have had two additional votes (Combined English Universities and Cambridge University) as well as a vote in the constituency in which I resided. The Representation of the People Act of 1948 changed this and prohibited multiple voting, hence the General Election of 1950 was the first one fought under One Man (or woman), One Vote.

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Can't see what was wrong with Rotten Boroughs myself!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Always liked this one:

upload_2017-11-26_18-9-36.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. In this mornings news it was reported that the CDU (Angies mob) is against a minority government and that their preferred option is a coalition with the SPD. The SPD however is split into pro and contra GroKo camps. Should the SPD go for a coalition then they have the CDU by the short and curlys, and their demands have already been made public, at least in part. Having said that, there will be no decision and certainly no new government before Christmas.

• Informative Informative x 2