• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

German election 2017 - will it make any difference?

Range of results of 2x exit poll:

CDU/CSU: 32.5 - 33.3%

SPD: 20 - 20.8%

AFD: 13.2 - 13.5%

FDP: 10.1 - 10.5%

Greens: 9.2 - 9.5%

Die Linke (The Left): 8.9 - 9%

But will it make any difference to German policy? Noting that SPD have already said that they won't go into coalition with CDU/CSU

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Probably not, since CDU/CSU got 33.8% last time.

Range of results of 2x exit poll:

CDU/CSU: 32.5 - 33.3%

SPD: 20 - 20.8%

AFD: 13.2 - 13.5%

FDP: 10.1 - 10.5%

Greens: 9.2 - 9.5%

Die Linke (The Left): 8.9 - 9%

But will it make any difference to German policy? Noting that SPD have already said that they won't go into coalition with CDU/CSU
Yes, it will, because IF these polls are accurate then Merkel has to jump into bed with the Greens and pro-business FDP as nobody will join up with AfD.

That looks ripe for "differences of opinion" and, of course, the AfD result, if accurate, means there's going to be quite a few upset Germans which could mean problems if things don't go the right way.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The AfD is apparently entitled to seat(s) in the parliament as they got over 13% of the vote. Not sure how many seats, but the first for far right wing groups since 1945!

The AfD is apparently entitled to seat(s) in the parliament as they got over 13% of the vote. Not sure how many seats, but the first for far right wing groups since 1945!
First time they cleared the 5% threshold, and the party's only 4 years old.

That's quite a few upset Germans, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Last edited:
Kin Hell!!

'Far Right'?????

Hows about the Nazi salute, or 'Horst Wessel'.

Sheesh, what a load of ******* crap

moves along mumbling under his breath........

87 seats on the latest numbers

CDU 219
SPD 135
AFD 87
FDP 69

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Kin Hell!!

'Far Right'?????

Of course, sorry I have offended your delicate sensibilities.

The party claim to be centre-right yet this in one of their stances in the German political scene

NationalismEdit
The party was founded on opposition to Germany's financial support of other Eurozone states and the third main point of its initial platform called for Germany to cede no further elements of its sovereignty to the EU without approval via a referendum.[25] Over time, a focus on nationalism, on reclaiming Germany's sovereignty and national pride, especially in repudiation to Germany's culture of shame with regard to its Nazi past, became more central in AfD's ideology and a central plank in its populist appeals.[2][3][4] For example, Petry, who led the moderate wing of the party, said that Germany should reclaim the German word "Volk" from its Nazi connotations,[87] while Höcke, who is an example of the more right-wing views, regularly speaks of the "Fatherland" and "Volk", and has said that Germany should make a "180 degree" turn with regard to its sense of national pride.[2]
Alternative for Germany - Wikipedia

Read their wiki and while the face of the Party is moderate the undertone certainly does not appear to be.

Of course, sorry I have offended your delicate sensibilities.

The party claim to be centre-right yet this in one of their stances in the German political scene

Alternative for Germany - Wikipedia

Read their wiki and while the face of the Party is moderate the undertone certainly does not appear to be.
AfD is a German UKIP but with more votes.

I presume I'm not the only one who finds it seriously funny?
Merkel just got a well deserved great big slap in the face

I would imagine there will be a furious scrabble of German politicians trying to recover lost votes and a dramatic swing in policies will occur.

I couldn't really give a monkeys for German politics other than how it impacts Brexit.

All the hysterical shrieking that followed the general election result here will start in Germany tomorrow morning. Merkel's mandate is more than a little bit dented and that has to be good for Britain

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Kin Hell!!

'Far Right'?????

I note the BBC news presenters are calling them far right. Oh well!

I note the BBC news presenters are calling them far right. Oh well!
Yus, but that is hardly a 'reasonable report'. The BBC have UKIP down as 'Far Right'.....

Latest Threads