German defence woes (latest from The Times)

Unfortunately providing grist to the Muscovite propaganda mill.

And won't win the Bundeswehr many friends, whether at home or abroad.

Unfortunately providing grist to the Muscovite propaganda mill.
And for our leftist friends in Germany also. They're screaming Nazi again.

What is frightening and incomprehensible, if the reports are true, is that at the first incident, the small birthday party in honour of the bearded man, the platoon probably received orders from a sergeant not to let this party take place. They must have ignored the good man. If I remember correctly, in my time they would have suffered for ignoring a direct order, suffered a lot afterwards, and suffered significantly more thereafter. After a short talk with the company commander, during which I'm sure there would have been a few words about rank and following orders, the suffering would have really started.
The sergeant decided not to do anything, which, apart from the refusal to obey orders, tells me a lot about his leadership qualities.
On the second occasion, the small party to relax in the hotel, the military police were probably present after things got a bit out of hand, and apparently little or nothing happened there either.
Here too, if I remember correctly, the military police had much more "convincing" arguments to prevent or stop misconduct.
Apart from that, there have been incidents of bullying, also sexual, against a female soldier and racist attacks against a soldier of Afghan origin in this platoon for some time.
I wonder how NCO's and officers can be so blind and just let this scum continue. Again, this should have been intervened a long time ago.

Hasn't the German Army been in trouble before for obeying orders? Ein befehl ist ein befehl. Do you still have Strafbattalions?
After the Second World War, when the Bundeswehr was reconstituted, they introduced for the first time the duty of the subordinate to check whether an order is punishable under German criminal law.
There are no more punishment battalions, but there are a lot more ways to give people fun, games and excitement. Apart from these activities, there is, of course, the German Military Criminal Code, where refusal to obey orders, which is what happened here, can also be considered a criminal offence and possible punishments are, depending on how "serious" the offence is, demotion, reduction in pay, arrest or dismissal.

Logically, there are a number of ways to deal with such people, and as far as I can see, nothing seems to have happened. Generally speaking, all those involved, up to and including the company commander, should have been punished for this brilliant piece of work.

Edited for being daft and forgetting a word.

Last edited:
Apart from these activities, there is, of course, the German Military Criminal Code, where refusal to obey orders, which is what happened here, can also be considered a criminal offence
Yers but wasn’t that also a defence for the Haarnetz brigade in that a refusal was linked to illegal orders?

The article is a little unclear on whether this platoon - singular - was the entire German contribution to the mission
The EFP Lithuania battlegroup is a joint Bataillon of 1200, 650 of them from Germany.

Last edited:
Yers but wasn’t that also a defence for the Haarnetz brigade in that a refusal was linked to illegal orders?
Ah the infamous German Hair Force, one of the most famous military units that ever existed. The ZDv (Central Service Regulations) 10/5 of the time (until 1971) stipulated that the hair was to be groomed at all times, but no details were given about the length.

There was an incident in which a company commander was so desperate that he tried to report a Panzergrenadier to the public prosecutor's office for insubordination. The Panzergrenadier then went to the barber before the situation escalated.

Schmidt, then still Minister of Defence, issued a decree in 1971 allowing the use of hairnets, but this was cancelled in 1972. The ZDv was changed and now said that the hair had to leave the eyes and ears free and was not allowed to touch the uniform.

Ah the infamous German Hair Force, one of the most famous military units that ever existed. The ZDv (Central Service Regulations) 10/5 of the time (until 1971) stipulated that the hair was to be groomed at all times, but no details were given about the length.

There was an incident in which a company commander was so desperate that he tried to report a Panzergrenadier to the public prosecutor's office for insubordination. The Panzergrenadier then went to the barber before the situation escalated.

Schmidt, then still Minister of Defence, issued a decree in 1971 allowing the use of hairnets, but this was cancelled in 1972. The ZDv was changed and now said that the hair had to leave the eyes and ears free and was not allowed to touch the uniform.
Well the Dutch used them as well, don’t think the Belgies did. It was a standing joke with me as of course grandma had one.

Well the Dutch used them as well, don’t think the Belgies did. It was a standing joke with me as of course grandma had one.

First bloke in military uniform I saw with a pony-tail was a Dane.

After the Second World War, when the Bundeswehr was reconstituted, they introduced for the first time the duty of the subordinate to check whether an order is punishable under German criminal law.
There are no more punishment battalions, but there are a lot more ways to give people fun, games and excitement. Apart from these activities, there is, of course, the German Military Criminal Code, where refusal to obey orders, which is what happened here, can also be considered a criminal offence and possible punishments are, depending on how "serious" the offence is, demotion, reduction in pay, arrest or dismissal.

Logically, there are a number of ways to deal with such people, and as far as I can see, nothing seems to have happened. Generally speaking, all those involved, up to and including the company commander, should have been punished for this brilliant piece of work.

Edited for being daft and forgetting a word.
Does the Bundeswehr have a military prison for bad boys and girls like Colchester?

Does the Bundeswehr have a military prison for bad boys and girls like Colchester?
The Bundeswehr does not have its own prisons or criminal courts.
After the experiences of the Third Reich, one wanted as little military jurisdiction as possible, although the Bundeswehr could constitutionally establish its own criminal courts.
Disciplinary matters, as well as military complaints by soldiers, are dealt with by the military service courts, so called "Truppendienstgerichte" or the two military service senates of the Federal Administrative Court.

Disciplinary arrest can last up to 21 days and must be confirmed by the military service court.
Criminal detention of up to 6 months' duration is also carried out on Bundeswehr premises, normal barracks with an arrest room and the delinquent is expected to participate in service as much as possible. Anything over 6 months' imprisonment and not on probation, leads to discharge and serving of the sentence in a civilian prison, if I remember correctly.

Edited for being exceedingly daft in the use of computers.

Last edited:
Coughing up.

Coughing up.

The fun is not over yet and the sausage is not eaten, the Bundestag has approved 1.3 billion subject to tough conditions. The sensible option, the termination of the project is not yet off the table.

German-French-Spanish cooperation agreement for research and technology activities within the framework of a joint development and procurement of a future combat aircraft system "Next Generation Weapon System (NGWS)" in a "Future Combat Air System (FCAS)" for the period 2021 to 2027.
Financial requirement 4.468 billion euros; this concerns the so-called Implementing Arrangement 3 for Phase 1B/2, i.e. the development.

The MPs, who do not have the final negotiated contracts with the industry on this, made extensive specifications - the resolution on specifications presented by the coalition and the FDP, which contains clear warnings to the federal government:

The Budget Committee of the German Bundestag may resolve:
(1) The Budget Committee notes that only the Intergovernmental Agreement on Implementation 3 (IA 3) is currently available, but not yet the final negotiated contract with industry.
2) In addition, neither the concept study nor phase 1A could be completed so far, so that no final results are available that can be included in phase 1B.
Furthermore, in its decision of 12 February 2020, the Budget Committee referred to the need for the FCAS and Main Ground Combat System (MGCS) projects to run in parallel. It notes that the progress required for this in the MGCS project is still not discernible. 4.
4) Due to the overriding political importance of the project, in particular for Franco-German cooperation, the Committee on Budgets - despite the state of affairs described in paragraphs 1 to 3 - approves the submission in committee paper 19(8)8770. The Committee on Budgets expects the Federal Government to make up for the omissions in paragraphs 1 to 3 in a timely manner and to fulfil the conditions. It calls on the Federal Government to,
4.1. submit the final negotiated agreement to the Budget Committee for information,
4.2. to take immediate measures to ensure that the FCAS and MGCS projects run in parallel. The Budget Committee is to be informed of the measures taken together with the submission required under point 4.1. 5.
In addition, the Budget Committee calls on the Federal Government to ensure that
5.1. the partner states and their industries enter Phase 1B on a recognisable equal footing and that the project is immediately transferred to an international programme organisation for this purpose,
5.2. a possible demonstrator can also be approved in Germany,
5.3. the regulations regarding the further exploitability of results of joint study and research activities (Intellectual Property Rights - IPR) are adapted in such a way that rights of use are given independently of the project,
5.4. the further requirements issued by the Budget Committee for the two projects FCAS and MGCS are also implemented. To this end, in particular the measures developed within the framework of interdepartmental steering to guarantee German key technologies must be intensified and accelerated. 6.
The Budget Committee calls on the Federal Government to obtain the approval of the Budget Committee before initiating the optional phase 2.

Ah well, it was fun until it was costed.
The previously 'overriding political importance of the project' will have the French elections in 2022 and the Spanish in 2023 to factor in yet.
Let alone the 2% of GDP promised to defence by some politician in your imminent election too.

Enough of this, is your job safe and are you still able to buy Scottish lobster despite Brexit?

Ah well, it was fun until it was costed.
The previously 'overriding political importance of the project' will have the French elections in 2022 and the Spanish in 2023 to factor in yet.
Let alone the 2% of GDP promised to defence by some politician in your imminent election too.

Enough of this, is your job safe and are you still able to buy Scottish lobster despite Brexit?
The costs are probably not even the problem at the moment, but rather the fact that the French don't just want to skim off the cream, but this time they want to take the whole milk bucket, the cow and the stable with them.

My job is probably as safe as it can be in the private sector in a pandemic, but I don't worry about that. What happens, happens.

Traditionally, Scottish lobster is hard to buy here, but the Canadian and American varieties are available in stores at reasonable prices.

The French want to keep the rights to the technologies they have developped over decades rather than hand them over to the Germans for free.

How arrogant of them.

The Anglo-Saxon cynic in me sees that three general elections in three consecutive years of all three main players in this project should make for some interesting negotiations, should it still go ahead.
I can also see how some national priorities may soon be changing in that period.

Latest Threads