German defence woes (latest from The Times)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I fear the EU will do anything, at any price, to remain in the form it is. That will end in tears, in my estimation.
Instead of going in and reforming - the one thing Cameron got right, by the way - they are just trying to paper over the cracks.
The next few years will definitely be "interesting", with an increasingly aggressive Russia, the Iranians and their drive for the bomb, the tensions between China and the US and the eternal bad boy North Korea.

To come back to the actual topic:
Which country and which army in Europe are not prepared for this?
I started a thread the other day on just this - https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/our-european-friends.304162/ - in the Intelligence Cell. Interested to hear your views.

Last edited:
To hopefully close the subject, it was not my intention to compare the actions of the French with the industrialised mass murder perpetrated by the Nazis, Germany.
If that is how you understood it, I am sorry and I certainly have no intention of " warping " history as you put it.
I am not trying to excuse what the Germans did, but I am also not blind to what other nations did.

I have no problem with "the French", just as I have no problem with the Dutch, Danes, Poles or Czechs or anyone else near or far. Well except Putin and his cronies, the Mullahs, Kim Yong Un, the ChiComs, you get the drift?
Most of them are great to have a drink with once you've warmed up to them.

I have a problem with French politics and, it's obvious, with fantassin.
I'm sure that's partly my fault, and at this point, mea culpa for the unrest that my behaviour has indeed brought into the thread.
Schnaps oder Bier oder Wein?

He must have been very far-sighted. The Bundeswehr has not been in good shape since the end of the Cold War anyway, but the 16 years of Merkel's government have, I fear, almost finished it off.

The relationship between Poland and Germany has to be able to withstand tensions, governments come and go, as long as you can still talk to each other and don't smash everything, it can be patched up.
I am a fan of his (and of his wife, Anne Applebaum).

You'd probably be quicker asking which of them are prepared. Short answer would probably be France.
Not quite, but getting there under the current defense programme and plans. Btw General Thierry Burkhard the current French Army Chief of the General Staff and former Foreign Legion Officer gave a brilliant interview on a French radio station aimed at youth recruiting (video blog here unfortunately only in French:

There but for the grace of god goes France
I disagree. The socio-historic conditions that led to the German aberration were not the same in France. It was not a random occurrence.

You'd probably be quicker asking which of them are prepared. Short answer would probably be France.
I also think the Poles are ready and they have the will to see it through to the bitter end. With the Baltic states, if you exclude the population of Russian origin, the will is certainly there, but their armies are terribly small.

Schnaps oder Bier oder Wein?
I've normally stayed away from to much Schnaps since I tried to drink my way through all the shelves of the bar with a mate about two and a half decades ago.
The morning after, was bad.
Nowadays, I only have a sherry or a single malt now and then.
I usually stick to the motto "drink local"

I also think the Poles are ready and they have the will to see it through to the bitter end. With the Baltic states, if you exclude the population of Russian origin, the will is certainly there, but their armies are terribly small.
Regarding Polish readiness, not quite again, big rearmament and reorganisation program, but the nation will not let Moscow roll over it. Very true viz the Baltic Nations, everyone remembers the Forest Brothers.

I am a fan of his (and of his wife, Anne Applebaum).
Her book on the history of the Gulags was excellent.

0713993227.jpg

Her book on the history of the Gulags was excellent.

View attachment 558712
This was the first book of hers that I read:
1616188707093.png

Back when it was first published in the ealy nineties. I read it because it covered the area my forebears were from. A very good read.

And this is on the cookbook shelf in our kitchen:
1616188840526.png

And for a real life horror story:
1616188919323.png

This is a very good interview of a German defence pundit on the issue of "drones" and where it fits into German defence policy. The main point is that it's all about German coalition politics and where in society each party is trying to draw their support base from.

It's about 25 minutes long, but well worth watching if you want some understanding about how German defence politics works. The key point that I take away from it is that defence policy issues are not about "defence policy". Rather, they are about wider issues that are fought on the defence policy battlefield.

This is a very good interview of a German defence pundit on the issue of "drones" and where it fits into German defence policy. The main point is that it's all about German coalition politics and where in society each party is trying to draw their support base from.

It's about 25 minutes long, but well worth watching if you want some understanding about how German defence politics works. The key point that I take away from it is that defence policy issues are not about "defence policy". Rather, they are about wider issues that are fought on the defence policy battlefield.

In summary (and this does not just apply in this case, but also in many others across the western democracies):

Hostile adversaries’ information operations influence the public. Public beliefs and fears translate into pressure on political decision makers. These, then make (or defer) decisions based on the opinion of a mis/disinformed public in order to maintain their public support. They do not make decisions based on the reality of the situation, from which the public has been steered away by well designed and targeted information operations.

In such a way the foundation of defeat is laid down.

Last edited: