Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German defence woes (latest from The Times)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Actually they did a bit better than that Bendlerstrasse is now called Staffenberg Str
I'm sure that's a consolation to the surviving families of the assorted aristos and apparatchiks who belatedly came to appreciate democracy and stuff after only eleven years of the Nazis.

Hard to say, given that I have no idea what you are referring to as the article is behind a paywall.
Sorry you could not get access. The suggestion was Bw ranks be womanised ie Navy Boatsoman would be female Boatsfrau, Hauptman would be Hauptfrau and Major Majurin etc The idea did not go down well with the girls of the Bw who would rather prefer correct boots, body armour and flying suits. Political distraction from real problems or wokery?

FEASG

LE
I'm sure that's a consolation to the surviving families of the assorted aristos and apparatchiks who belatedly came to appreciate democracy and stuff after only eleven years of the Nazis.

The Germans still have a very funny attitude to the law. I recently have read the book Fausts Metropolis (see link) and up to 1997 (the year it was first published) None of those convicted and executed for the 20th July plot have been officially pardoned. Stuffenberg , seems to have been made a poster boy for "The Good German" but he was summarily executed and never convicted, so passes the CRB check. I suppose this is due to some like Nebe having more than a bit of Blood on their hands. So the findings of Freisler's show trials still stand in German Law.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Germans still have a very funny attitude to the law. I recently have read the book Fausts Metropolis (see link) and up to 1997 (the year it was first published) None of those convicted and executed for the 20th July plot have been officially pardoned. Stuffenberg , seems to have been made a poster boy for "The Good German" but he was summarily executed and never convicted, so passes the CRB check. I suppose this is due to some like Nebe having more than a bit of Blood on their hands. So the findings of Freisler's show trials still stand in German Law.

To be fair, he did face a court martial in the Bendlerstrasse, an impromptu Feldgericht convened by the Commander of the Ersatzheer. Wikipedia is unusually good on Valkyrie :

"In an attempt to save his own life, co-conspirator General Friedrich Fromm, Commander-in-Chief of the Replacement Army present in the Bendlerblock (Headquarters of the Army), charged other conspirators in an impromptu court martial and condemned the ringleaders of the conspiracy to death. Stauffenberg, his aide 1st Lieutenant Werner von Haeften, General Friedrich Olbricht, and Colonel Albrecht Mertz von Quirnheim were executed before 1:00 in the morning (21 July 1944) by a makeshift firing squad in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock, which was lit by the headlights of a truck.".

All four were buried with full military honours, although the SS exhumed von Stauffenberg within 24 hours and, after perpetrating sundry indignities on his corpse and stripping it of uniform and decorations, incinerated it.

I gather a lot of the ambivalence around the 20 July plotters was to do with the fact that they'd sworn an oath to the specific person of the Greatest Commander Of All Time. That sort of stuff was very important to the German officer corps.

FEASG

LE
I gather a lot of the ambivalence around the 20 July plotters was to do with the fact that they'd sworn an oath to the specific person of the Greatest Commander Of All Time. That sort of stuff was very important to the German officer corps.

Agreed. A fact that may have some bearing on the current crack down. On the formation of the Bundesweher people like Rudolf Freiher Von Gersdoff was denied a place in its ranks. Despite having the credentials as an Anti Nazi. Having attempted an assassination of Hitler , at the Zeughaus in Berlin on the 21/03/1943 (An attempt that even makes it into one of the fictional Bernard Gunther novels by Phillip Kerr) he was denied a place.

" In the mid-1950s, Gersdorff tried to join the Bundeswehr, the armed forces of postwar West Germany. Despite his distinguished record and decorations, his attempts were, according to Gersdorff, opposed by Hans Globke, the powerful head of the German Chancellery and confidant of Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, and by various former Wehrmacht officers in the Bundeswehr who did not want a "traitor" in their midst. He thus was prevented from resuming his military career. " (from his Wiki Page).

I think a case of real politic by the West. The USSR had now became the Crocodile closest to the boat, so sleeping dogs were allowed to lie. As time went on the senior members of the NADAP along with the SS were allowed to become the alibi of a nation. But German politicians have a fear of a cupboard of skeletons might come out and not in a rainbow flag waving way.

We took a different attitude in Iraq, and it bit us on the bum, so not a criticism of the political decisions of the past. But none the less an another example of the hand cuffs of history.

Sorry you could not get access. The suggestion was Bw ranks be womanised ie Navy Boatsoman would be female Boatsfrau, Hauptman would be Hauptfrau and Major Majurin etc The idea did not go down well with the girls of the Bw who would rather prefer correct boots, body armour and flying suits. Political distraction from real problems or wokery?
Not quite, Hauptmann would remain as such. The whole thing smacks of bike shedding, the Bw does have other problems, things like jets that don't fly and boats that don't sail, much less dive.

I seem to remember a few years back there was contraversy in Germany about a law to repeal all the convictions for desertions in the German forces in WW2 especially the drumhead court martials in the last few months on the Eastern Front. I can't remember what the end result was but the article in the DT highlighted one case where a Gefreiter with communist leanings had deserted in Greece and activly fought against German forces with the Greek Resistance.

The argument against was that to repeal their convictions would be a smack in the face for all those soldiers who stayed at their posts and fought on.

Friesler also convicted Hans and Sophie Scholl of the White Rose resistance movement in Munich University and are pretty much poster boys and girls of modern Germany. Hans and other conspirators were serving soldiers in the Medical Company attached to the University and had previously served on the Russian Front where they became aware of the Einsatzgruppen.

FEASG

LE
There is a very interesting page on FB called "German Resistance" that documents many cases where ordinary Germans Civilians and Military resisted either by sheltering Jews or sabotage. They where not shouted about in Germany . Probably due to the fact it would show a lot of post war leaders of West Germany up.

15,000 Germans were executed by the guillotine for acts of resistance against the regime. The Scholls were simply the most famous. Most were quite ordinary,unknown Germans who took a stand by sheltering Jews or escaped PoWs or did some crafty leafleting or carried out random sabotages in factories. German bureaucracy photgraphed every sentenced one and failed to destroy those pictures at wars end so they survive to day. The ordinariness of the faces is striking.

15,000 Germans were executed by the guillotine for acts of resistance against the regime. The Scholls were simply the most famous. Most were quite ordinary,unknown Germans who took a stand by sheltering Jews or escaped PoWs or did some crafty leafleting or carried out random sabotages in factories. German bureaucracy photgraphed every sentenced one and failed to destroy those pictures at wars end so they survive to day. The ordinariness of the faces is striking.
Indeed, many of them carried out by this chap.

Johan Reichart.

Do you think there's any chance that Germany may come to the conclusion that there's not actually anything wrong with the G36 after all?
No way, now a new assault rifle will be purchased, no matter what.
The G36 was and is not a bad assault rifle except for the really crappy optics and the small caliber. But the optics problem is apparently solved.
The HKV, the optic, is not used anymore as far as I know and they have mounted Picatinny rails on all weapons to be able to attach useful optics.

Not sure if reported before, but the CH-53 heavy lift helicopter replacement decision has been delayed-quite possibly it will be cancelled.

Latest Threads