German defence woes (latest from The Times)

Morernisation of the Marineflieger P-3 Orion fleet has run into problems and has been terminated.

Link below,

Last edited:
Morernisation of the Marineflieger P-3 Orion fleet has run into problems and has been terminated.

Line below,

Another link (in English):

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The 3 KSK members I have ever met were for ever bitching about how little they were used and how the DEU Gvt always favored the GSG-9 over them every time a situation were they could have been involved occured.

IIRC, the KSK has also always beennunderstrength ever since its creation.
Unlike the SF guys I've met from many other countries (UK, US, Canada, Italy, Poland, France and a few others) the KSK blokes are really up themselves. Their attitude to normal forces is absolutely despicable and they have an undeserved arrogance I have rarely seen anywhere else. They also have a child-like fascination for 'shiny' kit.

They are definitely not revered in their own army.

The 3 KSK members I have ever met were for ever bitching about how little they were used and how the DEU Gvt always favored the GSG-9 over them every time a situation were they could have been involved occured.

Haven't a few of the French Army ended up in ISIS including several members of the FFL and one guy from 1 RPIMa, Frances premier SF unit.

Unlike the SF guys I've met from many other countries (UK, US, Canada, Italy, Poland, France and a few others) the KSK blokes are really up themselves. Their attitude to normal forces is absolutely despicable and they have an undeserved arrogance I have rarely seen anywhere else. They also have a child-like fascination for 'shiny' kit.

They are definitely not revered in their own army.
For historical reasons as much as anything, the Germans don't have an SF tradition like the UK, France or the US. Perhaps that is why they generated such poor attitudes?

For historical reasons as much as anything, the Germans don't have an SF tradition like the UK, France or the US. Perhaps that is why they generated such poor attitudes?
Well there are enough videos and documentaries on YouTube about them from various German media companies like DW so there must be some interest from the great German public.

Well there are enough videos and documentaries on YouTube about them from various German media companies like DW so there must be some interest from the great German public.
Precisely my point, that adulation can't do them any good. Our SF have an historical tradition going back to the first half of WWII, which is still alluded to now. It gives a sense of continuity and humility. For obvious reasons, the Germans are not going to revere Otto Skorzeny.

Precisely my point, that adulation can't do them any good. Our SF have an historical tradition going back to the first half of WWII, which is still alluded to now. It gives a sense of continuity and humility. For obvious reasons, the Germans are not going to revere Otto Skorzeny.
Didn't one of the KSK commanders - a Brigadier get sacked for exactly that about 10 or more years ago?

Haven't a few of the French Army ended up in ISIS including several members of the FFL and one guy from 1 RPIMa, Frances premier SF unit.
This is a recognised problem in countries which have diverse populations. IIRC wasn't there at least one PIRA member who had been in the British Army and quite a few UVF. I'm sure that there's more than a couple of Russian former Foreign Legionnaires working for the Wagner Group and other nefarious proxies of Putin.

I thought their Brandenburg of WW 2 were in the proper SF vein,creeping around sabotaging and killing sentries and all that.

I thought their Brandenburg of WW 2 were in the proper SF vein,creeping around sabotaging and killing sentries and all that.
They were the direct action arm of the Abwehr, so perhaps more akin to SOE than the SAS. Anyway, Germany deliberate chose not to form a Brandenburger type unit in the Bundeswehr.

Simply the preference to use a unit of the Bundespolizei as opposed to a military unit.

This is a recognised problem in countries which have diverse populations. IIRC wasn't there at least one PIRA member who had been in the British Army and quite a few UVF. I'm sure that there's more than a couple of Russian former Foreign Legionnaires working for the Wagner Group and other nefarious proxies of Putin.
I think the French soldiers who ended up in ISIS were all of North African origin.

The Brandenburgers fell out of favour with the Nazi regime because of their Abwehr connections. In 1944 they were converted into a standard Panzer Grenadier Division, and together with Panzer Grenadier Division GrossDeutschland formed Panzer Korp GrossDeutschland, finishing the war on the Russian Front.

Otto Skorzenny's SS units take over the SF role together with SS Falchirmjager battalion 600. Many of the orginal Brandenburgers transfered to Skorzenny's unit.

Latest Threads