German defence woes (latest from The Times)

Israel has been doing a lot of 'reaching out' recently, and not just to Germany.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Financial issues in Germany aren't about to get any better

I saw a fairly typical silly season piece in the Daily GetsMuchWorse referring to the potential costs of Brexit to Germany .

Don't like quoting the Express here , so I went to the original source, a German News magazine called FOCUS

Here y'go ( Translation Google's is. Sorry I am )

Calculation of the Ifo Institute Brexit will cost Germany at least 3.5 billion euros - every year
Tuesday, 20.06.2017, 14:01

No matter how Brexit runs out, when the British are out, they will no longer pay into the EU budget. But because Great Britain has been a net contributor so far, the costs are rising for all other countries - most of all for Germany.

• Britain falls away as the second largest net contributor to the EU
  • This increases the additional costs for all other members
  • For the period after 2020, a new budget must be negotiated
As a result of Brexit, the United Kingdom will default to the EU budget from 2019 . This means that the financing pots lack around 11.5 billion euros, which the British,as the second-largest net contributor to the 2015 EU, paid more than they found out.

But because the EU will not cut its funding to all other EU countries - they are guaranteed by the multi-year EU budget until at least 2020 - just have to jump in other countries.

https://www.focus.de/finanzen/news/...ro-kosten-und-zwar-jedes-jahr_id_7261589.html

How this will play out in German domestic budget is anyone's guess - but I doubt that Defence will be a high priority for any Government seeking to contain the problems triggered within the EU by Britain drawing stumps.

ugly

LE
Financial issues in Germany aren't about to get any better

I saw a fairly typical silly season piece in the Daily GetsMuchWorse referring to the potential costs of Brexit to Germany .

Don't like quoting the Express here , so I went to the original source, a German News magazine called FOCUS

Here y'go ( Translation Google's is. Sorry I am )

Calculation of the Ifo Institute Brexit will cost Germany at least 3.5 billion euros - every year
Tuesday, 20.06.2017, 14:01

No matter how Brexit runs out, when the British are out, they will no longer pay into the EU budget. But because Great Britain has been a net contributor so far, the costs are rising for all other countries - most of all for Germany.
  • Britain falls away as the second largest net contributor to the EU
  • This increases the additional costs for all other members
  • For the period after 2020, a new budget must be negotiated
As a result of Brexit, the United Kingdom will default to the EU budget from 2019 . This means that the financing pots lack around 11.5 billion euros, which the British,as the second-largest net contributor to the 2015 EU, paid more than they found out.

But because the EU will not cut its funding to all other EU countries - they are guaranteed by the multi-year EU budget until at least 2020 - just have to jump in other countries.

Brexit wird Deutschland mindestens 3,5 Milliarden Euro kosten - und zwar jedes Jahr

How this will play out in German domestic budget is anyone's guess - but I doubt that Defence will be a high priority for any Government seeking to contain the problems triggered within the EU by Britain drawing stumps.
serves the cnuts right, the UK and the US have funded the western European defences for long enough!

serves the cnuts right, the UK and the US have funded the western European defences for long enough!
Indeed, given that the Germans were complaining that going to 2 percent of GDP for defence would put them in deficit... who knows; stand by for lots of Leopard 2s going very, very cheap.

Indeed, given that the Germans were complaining that going to 2 percent of GDP for defence would put them in deficit... who knows; stand by for lots of Leopard 2s going very, very cheap.
I think someone said a lot of pages back that they were cut up so that they could not be brought back into service again. Green politics to the front.

ugly

LE
They certainly scrapped loads post unification and there are still a few scrap yards full. Reactivating them as we did the pigs wouldn't be popular with German Businesses. They like to sell new. The greek tranche of bribery sales were to keep production lines working.

Defence won't be important until Putin kicks off and decides that he would like to redraw the borders to the 1948 model. A few T-90s and Su-27s rolling / flying across Poland would stir things up.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Dark_nit - be careful what you wish for....had to laugh that one of Putin's nominated cities to host the World Cup was the former Königsberg in what generations of Germans knew as East Prussia.

How to put the burn on the Krauts whilst maintaining a reasonably straight face...

( Mind you I rather hope the Ikea Works Team manage to put the burn on Germany even more effectively this evening ! :highfive::-D:muhaha: )

Last edited:
@Goatman I don't wish for it in any way, shape or form. But if I lived on the border with Russia I would be stockpiling tinned food and checking that my Beryl was clean.

I think someone said a lot of pages back that they were cut up so that they could not be brought back into service again. Green politics to the front.
The Leopard 2s were put into storage and then sold off cheap to other countries. The Netherlands did the same, and perhaps several other countries as well. Canada's current tank fleet came from that sell off. The German tank industry benefited from the extensive refurbishment and upgrades that the new owners wanted with their new tanks, which probably went a long way to keeping their doors open.

The Germans recently took some of the remaining ones out of storage to bring them back into service.

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
This Leopard upgrade - did they change the spots?

ugly

LE

ugly

LE