German Bomb Disposal, Berlin, 1945

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by General Melchett, Mar 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

2. Hopefully they did a very poor job and all got killed.
  3. It's a big problem in the city to this day, especially with all the building work that's still being done.

In Berlin, an average of 900 explosive cleanup operations take place each year. Of these, about 100 unexploded bombs are deemed too dangerous for removal _ a job for "sprengmeister," explosives experts like Mehlhorn and Neumann, who blow them up on site.

Any retired ATO's out there fancy a job somewhere that's not sandy?!
  4. So.... did the Hauptmann cop it in the final reel?
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

They didn't do a terribly good job in Osnabruck.

Just after lunch one day about 1984-85 I had barely got back to my office in Mercer Barracks from my quarter in Dodesheide to be informed that my wife and two nippers had been evacuated to the Skins' (or had 4RTR moved in by then - probably) NAAFI in Imphal barracks because they had found an unexploded RAF bomb at the end of our street.

They spent the whole afternoon there and barely got home before I did.

A couple of weeks later, another was found outside the Estate Office. (There were questions asked whether this bomb had been dropped by the RAF or planted by one of the myriad of discontented pads.) They story goes that they couldn't handle the ire of all the kinfolk again so they just lifted this one and threw it in the bin (it was VERY delapidated).

Hitler woman - I mean Mother in law (did you spot the anagram?) - who had been a teenager during the war, suggested that RAF bombs were always found in threes. We all hoped that the third one would sort out the Dodesheide pads but satellite imagery suggests not.

Worthy of comment. The first time they found one, they sent round a vehicle with a loud-hailer instructing the dependents to evacuate. The woman upstairs from us, married to a newly posted in REME-attached I am sure it was 4RTR, heard, saw and assumed it was a politician touting for votes so she went back to bed. I dunno where her husband was at the time.
  6. Must have been a shitty job. Mind you, the overtime would have been fantastic.
  7. When the Channel Islands were liberated in 1945, they got the Jerries to hand over their minefield maps and dig out all the unexploded ordnance.

Once they had finished, they ordered the German POWs to march over the cleared areas "just to make sure". IIRC at least a couple were killed.

... that was before "health and safety" was invented 8O
  8. Yes, you can find him in over thirty different parts of west and former east Berlin.

9. My Dad said that they were marched over the mine fields twice, Once to
    make sure there was no mines, And the second time to pick up all the fag ends.....
    :D :D
  10. There is some suggestion that the esteemed Mr Hassell was a walt first class, that his books were written by his wife and that he wouldn't recognise a penal battalion if it was marching up and down his hallway. Any similarity between the Hassell truth and reality is probably therefore simply a coincidence.

Some interesting reading Here for Hassell fans. (I believe that this was the subject of an earlier thread.)

Unlikely that penal Bn inmates would replace ATOs though - whilst the said inmates might have been expendable, I imagine that the collateral damage factor would be unacceptably high.
  11. He seemed to act very casual when dealing with the bombs, but i suppose after over a 1000 you would be.
  12. Reminds me of an interviewee from the series 'The World at War', who said,on the subject of whether the war was worth it "To me personally the war was a total waste...because there are still 60 million of the boxheaded b*stards still alive" :D