Gerber knife

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Take2, May 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know somewhere my gerber knife (not a multi tool) can be sharpened to 'like new' standard ive grown attached to the thing and am to stingie to buy a new one?
  2. Give it (and a crate of Stella) to your Armourer/Metal Bender.

Job done.
  3. Depending on which model of Gerber you have, this shouldn't pose a problem. Mine (one of the versions of the 600 - there are several!) has a diamond(?) knife sharpener as one of the tools. You've just got to work out how to rub the blade along it.... I solve the problem by sharpening my Swiss Champ with the Gerber sharpener and not using the Gerber blade - it stays sharp for absolutely ages if you don't use it.
  4. Well thats sounds useful!
  5. i took my Mark I to my civ gunsmith - as good as new now. Had it 12 years, used and abused all the way.

6. Get yourself a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Provided there's no actual dings in the edge you should be able to get it back to "sentry snuffing" order fairly easily, although if it's particulalrly dull it'll take a while, especially if it's a stainless blade.
  7. You can buy the Gerber sharpner from their web site. just search on Google for ' gerber Knife'
  8. A crate for sharpening a knife? At least Dick Turpin wore a mask! You should become a plasterer, mate.
  9. Or given the potential quantities of Stella he may become plastered... 8)

No jacket required....
  10. Buy yourself an oilstone, a can of 3in1, and learn to sharpen your own blades. Its a basic lifeskill that all blokes should master early on, like fitting a plug, changing a tap washer, and undoing bras with one hand.
  11. It's also a very good way to make a total balls of an otherwise perfectly good blade. It takes practise to be able to sharpen effectively with a stone (and I'd recommend quality water stones aover oilstone anyday).

Get a couple of throw away asian knives and see what you can come up with edge wise before applying your gerber to a stone free hand.

It is something everyone should learn to do though.
  12. Totally agree (except with regard to water/oil - but this is a discussion in itself). To keep a good edge on a Gerber or Victorinox, you've got to use either ceramic or diamond impregnated sharpeners (NOT the twin disc junk) and a good sweeping movement. These sharpeners are so fine, and the blades so hard, that it takes some doing to ruin the edge, so are very forgiving for the ham-fisted. Despite being fine, they take only half a dozen sweeps on each side to return a blunt blade to factory sharp.

I've had my Swiss Champ for 10 years and used it most days. I sharpen it with the built-in sharpener on my Gerber about once a week and the blade is still the same shape as when new. Any other sharpener would have worn the blade down and left it less sharp. I sharpen the Gerber blade with a Victorinox ceramic sharpener, though consider this a bit coarse, hence why I don't use the Gerber blade often.
  13. However you restore it, an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure, in other words, keep it sharp. Despite owning several multi-tools, the blade I use most often, is my Victrinox Solo. Its a very lightweight (knurled plastic scales) single bladed pocket knife. To maintain its edge, I use a Kitchen Devil pocket steel. Its actually two tiny steels set in a blob of resin in such a way that they cross over forming an acute "X" shape. Most days, I pass the blade through this half a dozen times, and as long as I dont attempt to wittle a totem pole, it stays shaving sharp. Ten quid the knife, a fiver the sharpener. Jobs a good 'un!
  14. I can sharpen a blade ok, ive spent many a day turning screw drivers into razor sharp throwing drivers, but the gerber has a serrated edge aswell which takes abit more skill to sort out.
  15. For this, use a ceramic "steel".