Gerald Howarth Sidelined

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by miles_gloriosus, May 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sahame. He is pretty able and well-informed. I also think, unlike the cnuts who criticise him on that blog, that he has the integrity to differentiate between yesterday's lobby and tomorrow's national interest.

2. Agreed. But I'm probably bias as I've met him on a fair few occasions and he always comes across as a nice bloke genuinely interested in the Forces and is quite happy to chat with serving/non serving blokes in the pub.

3. Yes, I too am acquainted with him and agree. He is almost human...for a politician!

4. I'm not in a position to comment on the personality of the man. If you believe he has the integrity to carry off the role, Fair enough.

It looks to me like a piece of political expediency - it doesn't sit comfortably that a man giving free rein to arms industry lobbyists all over Westminster is then involved with procurement. It would be a difficult 'sell' to a disillusioned public and give a whiff of conservative ancien regime far too early into the new parliament.

5. No I quite accept the pragmatism of it and I am encouraged that someone has had the foresight to think this one through, rather than wait for a crisis and then act as if the public should wind their necks in.

6. Hmm. I wonder what he'll do now of he's not on the Aquisistion train? (other than being MP for Aldershot). It was announced on 20th that he was being made a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State - ie one level below Ministerial level - for the MoD along with Andrew Robathan (Con MP for S Leicestershire).