George Smiley R4

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Alec_Lomas, May 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC R4 is doing a series on this fictional character. It's broadcast on Saturday at 14.30hrs. (local time)

'Call For The Dead' opened the series. I thought it a good production in all and well worth a listen to.

"George, let me make you an offer which a gentleman would refuse. Take me back".

2. I'm a massive George Smiley fan - loved the books and the TV series when it was repeated years after its original showing. Le Carre is the biz, slow build up, deception, intrigue and finally.....revelation! :dance:

3. Thanks for the heads up Alec.

George Smiley et al............real spies.
    :D

4. I missed 'A Murder of Quality' which was broadcast on Wednesday at ? hr.

5. I'll check BBCi.

6. No luck on BBCi

Bugger.

7. hi i am a george smiley fan
    visit my web site and enjoy ...
    essamothman.com
    essam

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I keep missing them. Hope they're going to come out as a CD/Audiobook at some point.

9. My bold - Brian Cox is outstanding as Alec in the R4 version (part1)

As for the Leamas he's one of my favourite literature characters and I just couldn't bring myself to stick to his surname, kharma and all that :D

Cracking series this far.

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I keep missing it. I'm going to have to ask Santa to bring me a boxed set of it on CD I think.

11. Thanks Arty for the attachment. I missed the R4 Sunday broadcast as I was in London on the Sky Ride bike do dah. I just listened to it this morning. Marvellous, simply marvellous.......................

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Does anyone picture anybody else but Alec Guiness as George Smiley?

In a well ordered world his wife would be Lauren Bacall

13. Le Carre......a pure genius

I wonder if they're on Itunes?

Edited to add: They're all on Itunes......well his books are.