George Osborne takes second job

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Mar 17, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He has a history of schmoozing with Russian oligarchs, remember when he crossed swords with Mandleson (and came off second best), turned out they'd both been partying aboard a yacht in some fairly unsavoury company.
    Q&A: Peter Mandelson, Oleg Deripaska and George Osborne

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Now you come to mention it yes I do. Point is it proves that Government has few if any morals, no matter which side and indsider information will be at a premium

• Like Like x 2
  3. @ guzzjohn, It may be, so's my memory

4. Osborne was a bit of a golden boy up to that point, he'd been very impressive as shadow chancellor. Mandelson's riposte to his "dripping poison" comment put his career on the line, and he looked a callow youth in comparison to Mandy's Machiavelli.

5. I shall never forgive Mandelson for killing Rover-no matter what people think about the brand, there were deals to be done. I think he was EU trade commissioner at the time. But he was a Labour one with a Labour ethos and that goes to show just how deep the remain concept goes. They blame Maggie for the coal mining:rolleyes:. I'm still wondering how much Mandy trousered in backhanders. And the German auto industry is far from squeaky clean, viz VW

• Like Like x 2
  6. If I was one of Osbourne's Cheshire constituents they'd be quite right in requesting 6 jobs George to do the honourable thing and resign as MP.

I'm aware he's doing nothing illegal and simply feathering his nest, But Osbourne and London Evening Standard are avid remain supporters (judging by their contributing journalists and some biased article's) there's clearly an agenda and influence opportunity so it's being exploited.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doesn't matter what the ES position on Brexit is, by any standard there's a clear conflict of interest in a sitting MP being the editor of a newspaper so, for that reason alone, he should be forced to choose between one or the other.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Exactly. He has shown himself to be entirely focused on pluming his own nest. Which I would have had little problem with, had he first resigned as an MP and put his seat up for a by-election. As it is, he's behaving reprehensibly and is totally tone deaf to the public mood, which is laughable considering he was meant to be the master party strategist only 9 months ago.

I would be unsurprised if there was some kind of agreement with TM or 1922, because of the slim seat majority, when DC and Gideon left last year that they wouldn't do the usual for ex-10 or 11 occupants and vacate their constituencies to a by-election.

Which works fine. Until some moron take a job as a newspaper editor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Er, the idea is that they do other jobs before becoming a politician, so they bring some real world experience. After being Chancellor isn't going to be much help...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Heseltine was supporting him on the BBC the other day, which is proof, if proof were needed, that he is guilty of something.

• Like Like x 2
  11. There are frequently conflicts. The plain fact is that as an advisor to Black rock, the Editor for a Russian Oligarch-apparently he wasn't approached, and inside knowledge should make it almost crystal. He doesn't want to make his name he wants to make money.

12. oi stop pinching my lines.

13. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

Where do i find @jim30 s blog out of curiosity? Please PM me a link.

14. Sorry, did you say something similar, or did I anticipate your reaction to Heseltine's fulsome support the other day? (Was it on Any Questions?)

15. Baglock

Baglock On ROPs

Why wasn't he hounded out of the treasury?

Any Trump administration bod wo