George Osborne takes second job

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Mar 17, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

2. We wouldn't be allowed to do it, why are they?

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I don't think PMTM is worried about him doing two jobs, more worried that the man she sacked peremptorily last year now edits the local rag!

Osborne's Revenge? :twisted:

4. Genuinely shocked at this - total conflict of interest. How on earth can he be a Cheshire MP and also edit a major newspaper in London?

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. Please expand?

6. Okay - he is paid by the taxpayer to do a full time job as a backbench MP representing his Cheshire constituencies interests. This should occupy the bulk of his week, both on constituency and Parliamentary duties.

The job of an editor is a full time and very demanding role, particularly for a paper that goes out in the evening and thus is changing during the day. This paper in particular has an ability to influence many peoples views, and it seems that as an MP he is also able to determine the attitude of the paper to supporting the Government of the Day if he wishes. Surely a backbench MP should not have time to be an editor, or to be able to set the editorial direction of a paper to align with the interests of his own party?

• Like Like x 20
  7. Ah, i see. Thanks for explaining

8. The twats shouldn't have a second job full stop. They get paid well for what they are doing and they should be concentrating on that.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Given he's also jumped on the speech/lecture bandwagon, along with this new gig it's hard to understand how he'll be able to execute his duties as a dedicated, credible and effective MP....Oh! Hang on...

I wonder what his constituents will make of it. By-election sometime soon perhaps?

• Like Like x 2
  10. It is his fourth job:

MP: £75k

Blackrock: £650k

Public Speaking: £543k to date

Evening Standard: lots

• Like Like x 3
  11. Make that Six jobs: also

McCain Institute £120k

Nothern Powerhouse: expenses only

• Like Like x 2
  12. Can you imagine anyone in the public sector, paid a pittance of what an MP is saying "I'd like to hold down 4 jobs please'?

13. Blackrock, paid £600k for 4 days a month.

MP, paid £75k

I wonder how many days a month he will concentrate on his MP tasks?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not quite what it used to be. It's now a freesheet owned by a Russian oligarch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. But has enormous reach in the Capital and remains profitable and influential.