George Medal, Somerset Light Infantry.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wet_blobby, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reading the Somerset county Gazette earlier and in the Letters section a chap from Cyprus (ex pat I think) has admitted to "aquiring" the George medal (may have been cross but I dont think so) when he was a lad. It belonged to a private from the SLI who he names in the letter but I read it down the pub and have forgotten the name, he now wants to return it to the chaps family.

Unfortunatley I can't find a link on line for the article. What/who would be the best organisation to get in touch with about re-uniting the medal with the chaps family?
  2. Hi Blobby.
    In front of me, I have the "History of the Somerset Light Infantry 1914 - 1919. Listed is every Military and Foreign award, awarded to the SLI battalions for this period and there are many! :D There are no civil awards listed at all! Could be another period, WW2 etc or even later? :? Sorry mate.
    Try the SLI Museum in Taunton, Somerset. They have tons of info on this fine regiment! :wink:
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Try the Regimental Association:

Light Infantry Office Somerset
    14 Mount Street
    TA1 3QE

Tel: (01823) 333434 ext 4663/4665
  4. well i found it by googling somerset light infantry and george medal reading the article what he found sounds like a WW1 campagin medal not The George Medal as the george medal wasnt instituted untill september 1940 so wouldnt be for WW1
  5. Thats interesting, perhaps google has the hump with me today :?

The guy has given the gazette offices as a contact number and as both they and the SLI museum are in the same town I'd imagine they'd of put 2 and 2 together.

Thanks for the replies.