George Medal Citations Online?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RedMistUK, Oct 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of a site where the citations for George Medals can be found? the London Gazette site doesn't list many of them. There is a book titled: "Dragons Can Be Defeated" that lists them but can the same list be found online?

Any help appreciated...

2. Is there anyone who has the book: "Dragons Can Be Defeated"? this is very limited and I have been unable to find it for sale anywhere, I am looking for the citation of a GM Recipient in order to present to his surviving sons, if anyone has the book and can help with a citation can they please PM me or reply to this message, Many Thanks in advance for any help...

3. AS... Yes, have tried there, however the VC & GC are the highest awards for conspicuous gallantry performed by men or women (VC in the face of the enemy and the GC not in the face of the enemy) they are a society on their own, the GM falls short of the GC hence is not listed in the VC & GC sites, I cannot find a site anywhere that lists the citations for recipients of the GM... Thank you for your help though, much appreciated.

4. Started the day out feeling pretty cocky and pleased with myself after a relativley good week at work.

Just followed Aunty Stellas link to the VC site and am sat here lumpy throated and humbled, pretty much knocked the icing off my cake.

Instead of going out to get lashed I'm going to sit on the couch with a brew and re-read 'For valour'

No idea why I'm posting this, just gobsmacked at some of the gongs these fellas had... One had VC DSO & bar and a DFC & Bar...... he must have had two graves, one for him and one for his great big pods.

Cheers, for that Aunty, you've trashed my afternoon... seeing pictures of VC holders graves, just doesn't seem right...... almost like they should be immortal

5. Anyone on this fine Monday morning have any info on the above? will be most appreciated as no int over the weekend on an online GM Citation site...

6. have you tried the gallantry medalist league they are like the vc and gc assosiation
    but for leval 2 gallantry ie goerge medal dcm etc
    WWW.GM-LEAGUE.COM

7. Thanks Baldrick... Going In now...

8. Nothing seems to work in that site...

9. RedMist, check you pm's for the book!

10. Thanks Radical_Dreamer, obviously it is a very rare, limited book, a shame the citations are not listed online like the V.C.'s and G.C.'s...

Thanks again for your help...

11. The British Library have a copy. http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/TDF2YJMTT4HTIJBR9JTDYCK82N3EPJAQC6Y39Y5GRY9NTC315U-01193?func=find-b&request=Dragons+Can+Be+Defeated&find_code=WRD&adjacent=N&image.x=30&image.y=7

If you just want to look somethign up getr a readers ticket and visit. Its the obvious big libary between Euston Square and St Panceras tube stations. Its easy now the catalopgue is online. Order so the book is there when you want to visit. No more waiting 2 hours while they fetch it. You do need to visit in person and activate your password before you can use the online login.

12. Hello,
    I have a copy of dragons i can help if you would like to contact me, all the best .
    David

13. Have you tried a search of the National Archive, try WO373:
    This series contains surviving successful recommendations (often referred to as citations), forwarded from theatres of operations, for awards to British army personnel and those of the dominions. Also included here are papers concerning awards to the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force of decorations administered by the War Office, and records relating to the exchange of decorations between British and allied armies. There are awards made during campaigns, for 'non-operational' gallantry, and those announced in half-yearly honours lists.
    Until the mid-1950s, procedures in the Military Secretary's department of the War Office provided for the removal of the recommendations from the pertinent correspondence and their inclusion in a numbered series which was accessed by means of a card index. Thus, it is unusual for registered files relating to honours and awards announced prior to 1950 to have survived; those that have are included in this series.
    The date range given for some items refers to the date that the award was announced in the London Gazette, not the date of the action or deed which earned the award.
    Pieces 146 and 147-191 are not available on microfilm.
    Please Note: Digital copies of records of the Recommendations for Honours and Awards in WO 373 can be accessed from DocumentsOnline.This series contains surviving successful recommendations (often referred to as citations), forwarded from theatres of operations, for awards to British army personnel and those of the dominions. Also included here are papers concerning awards to the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force of decorations administered by the War Office, and records relating to the exchange of decorations between British and allied armies. There are awards made during campaigns, for 'non-operational' gallantry, and those announced in half-yearly honours lists.
    Until the mid-1950s, procedures in the Military Secretary's department of the War Office provided for the removal of the recommendations from the pertinent correspondence and their inclusion in a numbered series which was accessed by means of a card index. Thus, it is unusual for registered files relating to honours and awards announced prior to 1950 to have survived; those that have are included in this series.
    The date range given for some items refers to the date that the award was announced in the London Gazette, not the date of the action or deed which earned the award.
    Pieces 146 and 147-191 are not available on microfilm.
    Please Note: Digital copies of records of the Recommendations for Honours and Awards in WO 373 can be accessed from DocumentsOnline.