George MacDonald Fraser says Bliars a hoop

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cutaway, Apr 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Just heard Mr MacDonald Fraser talking of his latest Flashman book on the BBC.

He called the Abbassinian campaign a fair war instigated by an honourable parliament - 'very different from modern times.'

Then went on to say that he had two images in his mind of Iraq,
    "One was a boy with both arms blown off, the other was Bliar smirking in front of the United States Senate, trying to kid them he was another Churchill !"

Shame he was so reserved. :D
  2. Author of the best ww2 autobiography

Top Chap
  3. George is always good value. Anyone who hasn't read Quarted Safe out Here or any of his McAuslan stories is missing out on a great treat.
  4. Not the biggest fan of Flashman, but the McAuslan books are some of the funniest military stories around,especially McAusland's Court Martial.
  5. yeah... am just finished reading Quartered Safe Out Here - a brilliant read and a description of war I was not quite expecting...

I read the McAuslan books a couple of months ago. At the end of the third book he describes meeting his old Colonel and they discuss Wee Willie... he talks about telling the true story behind Wee Wille - did he ever do that?

6. A few years ago... 20+ actually... they made a TV film about McAuslan, called 'The Dirtiest Soldier in the World'.

This was the tale of the guard mounting at Edinburgh Castle. It was brilliant and I didn't stop laughing for a week. I can't remember the actor's name but he got McAuslan dead right.

As GMF says, these characters are universal and they exist in every battalion. I remember a notice, posted in our Ops Room at Girdwood Park, to the effect:-

'Clausiwitz says that there are never bad soldiers, only bad officers...
    ...This being the case, would someone care to explain D*****t and C*****y!' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. I thought the true story of Wee Willie was that had done an epic E+E with a dead German on his back?
  9. Q.S.O.Here is one of my favourite reads.
    GM Fraser knows the Brit squaddie.
    He also knows a bag of sh1t when he sees one.
  10. Apparently. I did a half-hearted search for the real story many years ago but got nowhere and dropped it in favour of other things. Anyone know anything of it?
  11. GMcDF is the best anecdotalist of modern times...I first read McAuslan in the rough when I was 12. It was one of the factors which convinced me to join the Cake...although I bottled out of a Highland Inf. regiment!! (With these knees? Seriously?)

I hope he is spared long enough to put Flashman's ACW exploits into a book...