George Cross for Murdered Policeman?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Cheat, Feb 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read the article and I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. I can understand the family and the Police force wanting to acknowledge his bravery, but is the George Cross the correct medal?

Full story
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/4718992.stm

T C

2. I agree, he wasn't overly gallant he did his job like the rest of us - some claim pulling on the uniform is gallantry itself! The RUC GC showed immense courage and gallantry, more so due to the situation in Northern Ireland than any mainland police officers and if you took Interpol stats - more so than any other police officer in the world.

3. He should be remembered, but why a gallantry award ??

4. Saw the Police Union rep on the news tonight, apparently during an anti-terrorist Op, the chief suspect had 'overpowered' two officers with a knife in one room, Oakes rushed in from the next room, (no stab vest) tackled the bastard, holding on to him whilst being stabbed. The two officers who had been overpowered, declared in court that they would have both been killed if it hadn't been for Oakes. The bods in charge of awards have said that not only does he not qualify for the George Cross, he qualifies for NO award.

How ironic that not half an hour later, cricket 'hero' Freddy Flintoff was waffling on about something on the telly, and it came to me that had PC Oakes, won 2 cricket matches, drawn 1 and lost 1 they could have also awarded him an MBE, or even something better if he'd made a large 'donation' to the Labour party.

Still it what you get paid for innit??? comforting words for his kids.

5. Sorry, this really winds me up.

My father served in the Police Force for over 30 years and lost a very good friend in the late 80's when he approached to apprehend a suspected armed robber. This incident was one of (unfortunately) many, such incidents to occur over the years and although I have the upmost sympathy for the family of the police-officer his case is not unique.

As for the following:

"Such a decision is an absolute insult to the memory of Stephen, his family and every police officer in Britain."

Surely, this applies to the memory of every other officer who has died. I also have to agree with previous contributors that although brave his actions do not appear to have been particularly "beyond the call of duty."

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I can understand the emotions here surrounding the death of a policeman on duty. However, in this case, and from the little I have heard and read, I think the decision is correct. If he got the GC, what about his colleagues who, having seen him stabbed, still arrested the cnut.

This is such a difficult area that I could agree with both camps i.e. award and the other which is not award.

I am sorry, but dying on the job is not a pre-requiste for an award - and please don't think I am being callous here, I am tgrying to be practical.

I hope the cnut who did this serves his time - to death - being served pork n beans for every meal.

7. Recognition? Definitely. An award? Very possibly. The George Cross? No.

I'm desparately sorry for the chap's family, but the GC is the highest civilian award there is. We shouldn't let sympathy override an established system of awarding gallantry honours.

8. I am a bit in a quandry about this one too, sure it was abrave thing to do, but GC? Nah dont think so. My feeling is that it may diminish what previous holders did to get theirs and lower the worth of the medal. Dont get me wrong I'm not saying he wasnt a brave bloke but I just dont think the GC is right in this case...........

9. Yes I agree, GC probably not the fitting award. But I do think that by giving his life to save two fellow officers, and preventing (apparently) UKs top Al Queda member from escaping, he should be honoured with something. Have to ask plods on the boards as to what gallantry awards there are for serving police officers. PC Oakes' Chief Constable should be forcing the issue.

10. Trouble is that the whole awards thing has been "dumbed down" - in common with most aspects of society these days. Today we had a swathe of awards announced for the individuals involved in the London bombings; in most cases for people doing their normal jobs but for once having a particularly nasty day. Those individuals probably are more deserving than sportsmen and celebrities, but one still can't help comparing them with - say - toms on the ground in the Sandpit, who suffer more for longer and yet get nothing, or for previous recipients of the same awards, who might have earned their gong for sustained gallantry over six years of total war....

11. Well at that rate every soldier that dies in combat could get the VC

12. If it suits the government then the awards get dished out - reflected glory/distraction from pp performance etc. I'd like to say it's a new Labour formula - but it's always been this way.

13. Looks like a clear QGM job to me.

14. I agree with the above, whilst DC Oakes was extremely brave I do not think his actions fit the criteria for a GC. As for awards for Police, I think they are eligable for the George Cross, George Medal, Queens Police Medal, Police LS&GC and various commendations ( certificates) from Chief Consatbles for acts of bravery, good work etc. As for the QPM this is now only awarded for service to the force and not bravery, hence why senior officers usually get it and not the rank and file.
    I believe the QGM is a military award for bravery in civilian situations.
    Would DC Oakes fit the criteria for a GM ?