George Cross for Iraq war hero

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archimedes, Mar 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MoD has released the latest Operational Honours list, which includes a GC for Capt Peter Norton, RLC

Full list at:
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

3. Well Done. To Capt Norton & Lt Col Sheldon.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Well his leg won't grow back !
    Read the article.

Well deserved GC for Capt Norton, I wish him luck with his future.
  5. Excellent news. Well done.

Just a quick question. Why a GC? I was under the impression it was the utlimate award for actions of bravery not in a combat situation. The circumstances were clearly combat related and directly the result of enemy action. Might have mis read it a bit though. Any thoughts?
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Flash, it might be to do with there being no adoo abut at the time, but that's only a swag.
  7. The spoiler is probably the word 'presence'. Personally, I think it should have been a VC. I'm quite certain that in that position the only thing I'd have been capable of sending over the radio would have been 'Arrgh! My fcuking leg! Arrgh that hurts! Medic!' or similar...
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Some guts. Well deserved.
  9. Bravery indeed - I am in awe of anyone who does that job and they have my utmost respect. Congratulations to Capt Norton - I wish him and his family all the best for the future.

Congratulations to all the other award recipients too.

PS Is Capt Norton the chap for whom The Longest Walk was done?
  10. They have Big Balls. Well done and congrats.
  11. I know Pete Norton , bloody well done to him, wishes to his family.
  12. Sorry if this is deemed flippant or inappropriate but I'm sure the guy himself would see the joke. Concerns a para in the Falklands war who lost a leg. He told his mates as they rendered first aid "I've lost my leg". Response was "No you haven't - it's over there" Might be urban myth but sums up the fortitude of our soldiers as so well displayed by this officer.
  13. I know Pete well and he is an outstanding bloke. Once told him we would have him as a Sapper anyday and that still applies.

Well deserved mate.
  14. Brave men. Respect to them both.
  15. Yes, it was DB.

Capt Nortons wife, Sue also desrves a medal. I don't know how she has coped so well.