George Best Drinking Again

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Lifesaver, Jul 13, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From BBC News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3061827.stm

Soccer legend George Best was arrested on Saturday after an alleged scuffle with a press photographer, amid reports he is drinking again.
    Mr Best, 57, vowed never to drink alcohol after a life-saving liver transplant last year.

But the Mail on Sunday quotes his wife Alex as saying he seems to be on a "mission to self-destruct".

Police said a 31-year-old man was also arrested at the Chequers Hotel in Walton on the Hill, Tadworth, Surrey, on Saturday evening.

Surrey police said both men were arrested on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm and taken to Reigate police station but were later released without charge.

He seems to be on a mission to self-destruct and it is getting worse

Alex Best

A police spokesman said: "No further action is envisaged by Surrey police."

After being released by police, he returned to the pub, not leaving until closing time.

Alex Best, 26 years her husband's junior, reportedly told the Mail: "I feel awful for the family of the person who died to save George.

"The last week has been hell. He seems to be on a mission to self-destruct and it is getting worse. I have tried everything I know to help him.

"I am sure George didn't want to start drinking again."

There are reports the former Manchester United and Northern Ireland star has been seen regularly in his local pub, but he denied he had been drinking alcohol.

"Why can't I come to the pub and read the paper and have a nice steak like anybody else?" he told the Mail.

Best's wife Alex has stood by him through his drinking binges

He is understood to be taking drugs which should make him ill if he touches alcohol.

If he has been drinking, it will reignite criticism at the time of his transplant that there were more deserving cases waiting for the organ.

Mr Best has ridden the rollercoaster of fame and fortune since making his debut for United in 1963.

When I was a kid this guy was one of my heros.
    What a complete idiot, unbeliveable!
    If Alex has any sense she will kick him out....... the next thing we'll be reading is his death - What a tragic waste.
    [/url]

2. Some people are just too stupid tohelp themselves. No point in saving him if he's so determined to drink himself to death. You've just got to feel sorry for Alex.

3. I think he should give that liver to somebody who won't abuse it.

4. Didnt he play football or something years ago ?
    think ill rip my donor card up if tosspots like that are going to be saved

5. Woody, He was one of the greatest footballers ever.

Played for Manchester United.......... Birds and Booze became his demise.
    Too much money too young. :roll:
    He was spotted by a scout in Northern Ireland at the age of 15 and worked as groundstaff until his 17th birthday when he became professional in 1963.

6. I think a brain transplant would've been more apt!

Abusing his own liver was one thing,...... but to abuse the gift of life is another!

7. So I take it that popping round to Georges with a carry out would be a bad move then?