Geographic Technician

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Skutter, Sep 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been looking into Geographic Technician trade, from what info i have gathered from this site its a mainly computer at a desk type role, sorting out info, printing maps and programming software and not much in the field data collection. Is this a fair assumption? If so it sounds abit dull, i was thinking it there would be more field work involved....

2. You need to be able to construct a properly worded and punctuated paragraph to be a Geo. Therefore, that's you fucked son.

3. Oh I am sorry. I did not realise this was to be an assessment of my written English. If you like you could go through the previous post with a red pen. Though if I where you I wouldn't bother as I couldn't give a rats ass.

4. He's had your pants down there Swamped

5. It's not an assessment, I'm merely pointing out that if you're too ******* thick to know where to use a space correctly or the difference between were and where, I wouldn't hold much hope.

6. Anyway, last I spoke to some Geo lads that were on my B3, they hadn't touched any fieldy stuff since then, a good few years back.
    Stand to be corrected, they might do the occasional exercise to keep them up to date.

Thought a few years ago there was talk of Geo's being re-badged to the Intelligence Corps. Presumably that's not happening anymore?

7. Lifted this form Google; as·sess·ment/əˈsesmənt/
    Noun:
    The evaluation or estimation of the nature, quality, or ability of someone or something

Now by the definition given above I would disagree with your statement that you were not carrying out an assessment of my ability to express myself through written English.
    Now in contrast to the above remark; I do agree with you that if I were to present all my written and typed information in the same lax manner as my first post I would quite possibly find it difficult to become a geographical technician. Yet I feel that I must indicate the obvious to you as you do not appear to have grasped the following concept; This is an informal chat forum not the entrance exam to Sandhurst.
    So if you have any further information on what the role of Geographical tech' involves I would be very grateful if you would share it.

8. Ah cheers Swamped - you must have posted that last one as I was scripting my last reply.
    What you say is the impression I have be given about the role. I had hoped it was more field data collection. I Like to get out and stretch my legs once in while. I find sitting behind a desk all the time is bad for the posture.

9. From what the lads I went through training were told, the most they'd get out was still in the back of a vehicle with all their Gucci computers set up. I'd imagine in the past they may well have done more, but with technology now days they don't need to, with most of their stuff being done by GIS.

As I say though, I could be wrong, but Geo's seem to go to Hermitage after their B3, and you don't see them again. With other trades, your first posting is 5 years long after training, I've never met a Geo in a normal unit so I presume that it's their only posting and they just stay there up to their 22 year point if they do that long.

If you're looking for technical trades, but still want to be a fieldy, going in as a Design/E&M draughtsman might be a good shout. Now days you don't just get pushed into doing your trade, and can just be posted in as a fieldy, which is what's happened to me. Although some do just get stuck in a Design Cell and stay there. I made a big point about wanting to be 'combat streamed'.

10. You want to be a Geo? I bet you don't watch Big Bang Theory, you ******* live it. Geek.

11. Alas scew the nut, I dont watch tv and have no idea what you are talking about, but i guess its some of the usual brain piss that is shown on the idiot box.
    My background involves forestry. We use maps and GIS information on a regular basis, hence my interest. Not much call for lumber jacks in the army when I last took a look.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

GiS techs can make use of skills outside the mob either with OS etc or nowadays county councils and Network Rail all employ GIS Techs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

13. Oooh look at you all ******* educated, the media of the masses is obviously so beneath you. Geek.

Why join the Army to do the same shit you are doing now? You join to become a ******* soldier not a lumberjack, idiot.

14. Ive got an O level in Biology and and O level in metalwork.

I weld frogs for a living.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bayonet frogs or Fishplate frogs?