Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Geographic technician Role.

BMS671

Crow
This is probably the best place to propose this question.
I’m currently in basic w/ the infantry but I’ve been wanting to transfer to the geographic technician role in the RE, my selection course score was an “A” and my aptitude test was “incredible” and allowed me to go to anyrole I wished upon. Just wondering if I would have any troubles in transferring to this role? And is it a very hard role to get into? I will bring it up to my chain of command closer to the time of finishing basic, just trying to find additional info. Thanks.
Also one more question to do with the qualifications if anyone knows- are you allowed to start studying for your relevant diploma as soon as you pass training?

Before I answer - please answer a simple question. If you have the aptitude and academic scores to be a Geo Tech, how the f*ck did you end up in the infantry?

Straighforward advice is to make it known NOW that you want to transfer to RE rather than wasting your, and your trainers', time in Infantry basic. Notwithstanding your selection course score etc you will need GCSE Grade C or above in maths and English, plus one more. And that is the absolutely lowest academic standard, there will be entry level Sappers with A level maths or better.

Be prepared for push back from your Infantry training staff initially, so don't just give up if you get f*cked off by your section commander. Talk to your platoon commander and keep asking.

Before I answer - please answer a simple question. If you have the aptitude and academic scores to be a Geo Tech, how the f*ck did you end up in the infantry?

Straighforward advice is to make it known NOW that you want to transfer to RE rather than wasting your, and your trainers', time in Infantry basic. Notwithstanding your selection course score etc you will need GCSE Grade C or above in maths and English, plus one more. And that is the absolutely lowest academic standard, there will be entry level Sappers with A level maths or better.

Be prepared for push back from your Infantry training staff initially, so don't just give up if you get f*cked off by your section commander. Talk to your platoon commander and keep asking.
To put it short, I joined with no specific goal but to be in the army As a soldier and I figured the most physically demanding side of the army would be a good challenge for me, but I’ve had a change in mindset and realised I want to go to a trade. I’ve got maths and English and 6 other GCSE’s, no dramas. I will let it known when the time is right. This is something I want to do for multiple reasons, any idea how tough this role is to get into? From what you’ve said it’s sounds like high competition?Thanks for the reply.

Difficult to say if it is hard to get into, but you should be off to a good start given that you have some basic behind you. If you are successful, you will also do the RE Combat Engineer course before going onto Geo training. Have you also looked at Mil Engr (Survey) which is more "construction survey" focused, and you will serve in mainstream units rather than just 42 Geo.